Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default creating a proper background to website

Hi - I would like to create a proper background design to my website. Something like that shown on this webpage

http://www.spinen.com/index

Does Web Designer have the capability to do this? Would I need to create the background in Xtreme and import it? What type of file should this be imported as and what size would fit all types of browsers and screens?

Default Re: creating a proper background to website

You mean like this?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Ha ha, yes exactly like that!

Would that span the whole page regardless of the monitor or browser used when viewing the webpage? I just don't want a load of white space behind the main website body.

How do I get this to work in web designer? May sound a daft question, but I've only just got the program. I'm used to Serif Webplus, but got fed up with the naff graphics and the poor coding used in it.

It should span the browser no matter what size, try resizing your browser and see what happens.

The way I did it was this (there may be a quicker way, but I don't know it yet).

1/. From the File menu select Import and select the image you want as a backdrop.
    2/. Open up the BitMap Gallery (see small icon buttons image).
    3/. Hold the Ctrl key then click & drag the backdrop from the bitmap gallery (image on the right) onto your page, this will make it a backdrop image.
    4/. Delete the original imported image from your page.

Try that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clipboard03.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	57709  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

It might actually be beneficial if there was an 'Import as Backdrop' from the File Menu.

Thanks a lot for that, I got it working now.

I think I just have to set the main body page background to white, otherwise it fills all the spaces in the main body in that colour.

Quote Originally Posted by nickydude View Post
    You mean like this?
    Not quite, if you look closely, the entire bitmap is not filling the background, but is tiling (unlike spinen.com).
    The bg image is 2172 pixels wide which is enough for almost every monitor resolution.
    I'd like to see an option in WD to no-repeat the background.

So is it right that you have to create a rectangle background in Xtreme of around 2300 or so pixels wide (and how high?) in order for it to fill the background in on all types of monitors? I don't want to have a tiled background, just one groovy looking graphic.

Quote Originally Posted by stuart1980 View Post
    So is it right that you have to create a rectangle background in Xtreme of around 2300 or so pixels wide (and how high?) in order for it to fill the background in on all types of monitors?
    You can set as large image as you like for the page fill and it will be used as a page background fill in the browser.
    John.

I might add on this topic: if I create a really wide and thin graphic and try to include it as a background I get telltale lines in the background. Anyone know a way around this?