Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Adobe Illustrator Import

Someone sent me an .ai Adobe Illustrator file. Can I import it into Xara Xtreme and modify it? Is there a special filter for .ai files?

Default Re: Adobe Illustrator Import

FILE OPEN

Some versions are supported. Look down the file list.

Rich

Welcome to the Xtreme Conference.

Xara supports up to version 7 or 8. These filters are a bit out of date but hopefully will be updated soon.

If you still cannot import the file, maybe you can attach it and some of us who have later versions of Illustrator can try to open the file and save it so that Xara can open it.

Gary

I've attached the file - it won't open with my Xara Xtreme.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi Sp,
    Your pal who sent you the file forgot to convert the fonts to shapes and as it is not a system font and no two computers have the same font faces, therefore can't tell if this shape is close. Way around this is to email your friend and ask what font was used and where and if you can afford the font download it to your computer. At least you have the logo.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Design is thinking made visual.

According to the properties of the document, I think the fonts used are as shown in the attachment.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FONT-TYPE.jpg 
Views:	413 
Size:	9.5 KB 
ID:	27358  

If possible, ask the person who sent you the logo to convert the fonts to outlines, and to save the file to version 8. Then you should be able to open it and have the fonts correct.

One thing to keep in mind is Illustrator's default color space is simulated CMYK. So the same logo will appear brighter in Xara than in Illustrator. So if you are creating web graphics and want to match the colors, use Xara's Simulate Printer Colors option (Window menu).

Gary

Thank you all for your help. Everythig else the artist sent was jpeg, and I wanted to drop the "Realtor" from the logo, and make the background transparent.

Albacore - how did you create the .xar file? Was I doing something wrong in trying to import the .ai file into Xara Xtreme?

No you were doing nothing wrong, as Gary stated the import filters for AI are old and have not been updated so therefore if someone draws in the newest ver. of AI and tries even to open it in a older ver AI never mind Xara they can sometimes struggle. If you want to keep doing this exchanging files follow the steps Gary gave you, ie export in AI after converting text to shapes and saving it as a "AI Legacy file ver. 8" and if there is no fancy effects like transparencies, shadows extrusions & bevels it will come across easily and one last thing get them to convert the colours into RGB colour mode as this saves time as well.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Do you have a JPEG version of the logo? Maybe we can track down the missing font. I did a quick search for CG Omega and did not come up with anything but maybe there is another font that comes close or is the same font with a different name.

Gary