Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Character from "Beauty & the Beast"

I may be considered for the part of Mrs. Potts in our local rendition of the stage play "Beauty & the Beast", so I decided to draw her.

The scene is the night that Belle arrives at the castle, and she is pouring wine and singing.

The plug in effects are on the candle, the candle stick and the hair. Other that that this could easily have been done in Xara X1.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mrs.jpg 
Views:	354 
Size:	169.6 KB 
ID:	21366  
    Last edited by sallybode; 22 October 2005 at 11:14 PM. Reason: adding attachment

Default Re: Character from "Beauty & the Beast"

PRetty nice Sally!

Just hope the director didn't see the disney rendition...

Then you would be running around looking like a tea pot...

Here is my handle and here is my spout...

Great picture Sally. What are all those bubbles around her head ? It looks like one of Gary's worms!
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire

Ah, Beauty and the Beast a great film and a great picture here . Those 'worms'....that's a brush isn't it or am I losing my memory ? Nice glass though...I was trying to do Eggs glass tut last week but failed dismally .

Hey Bruce,

I think that is suposed to be the ruffles on a nightcap... but what do I know...

Yes, it is a night cap although in her costume, it represents the frilly teapot lid.

The the brush is the standard blue scatter ball brush that comes with Xara, I just changed the properties and then made it shapes and then outlined it. Did the same with the bubbles from the wine bottle.

I like playing with a light source, in this case the candle, only I worked backwards, adding the candle last and borrowing it from an existing work I did to see how Grafixman did his version of Winnie the Pooh in PhotoImpact. He didn't have the candle, that was the only real difference. (He can draw like this is PhotoImpact--amazing!)

The inspiration of the drawing came from playing around with doing a red tile roof in Xara and then seeing how various envelopes could be used, so I tried and arc and the roof became a flouncy lace collar, of course, I had to put the lady in it too.

Can you see the one time roof?

Name:	candle_pooh.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	295.5 KB 
ID:	21381  

In response to BallPoint who wrote:

"Ah, Beauty and the Beast a great film and a great picture here . Those 'worms'....that's a brush isn't it or am I losing my memory ? Nice glass though...I was trying to do Eggs glass tut last week but failed dismally ."

I learn more from just a few basic and the pick-apart method.

I redrew the wine glass in a stand alone study to show how I drew it. But when it comes to spelling out umpteem steps, I just don't work that way. Art isn't exactly a science experiment.

But if you want to pick it apart, I've included the .xar file.

Name:	wine glass.jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	21385  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by sallybode; 24 October 2005 at 12:56 AM. Reason: file attachments

. Thanks for the plug, Sally. But I think I'm all over the place enough already....
    Great art. A play. Post some shots for us... sounds like fun...

The rehearsals don't start until January, so I'll post some then.

Thanks for the file Sally...I haven't picked it apart yet but will do so . I agree with you about art not being an exact science...especially when I do it . Some of my xara files are horrendous - not methodical at all. However, I can guarantee the more time I spend on a picture the worse it will be.

Okay, I picked it apart now.....strike me roan . The ammount of work that went into the final wine glass is incredible...to me anyway . No wonder mine look so rubbish.
    Last edited by Ballpoint; 25 October 2005 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Picked it apart :eek: