Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: Any interest in Xara adding "connectors" ?

Don't ever say we never gave you anything.

Duplicate and use as necessary.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Don't ever say we never gave you anything.

Duplicate and use as necessary.
    Thanks however now I'm confused.

A) Various errors came up when I opened with my Xara Designer Pro X10
    > This file was produced by a different or newer version of the program. It contains some data that will be ignored.
    > Technical details; (4531); (4536); (4525); (4537); (4535); (4522); (4527); (4522); (4527); (4522); (4527); (4522); (4527)

B) So I downloaded and installed a trial of XDP 11X
    But now when I go in, I see a window snapshot of something called Design elements (whatever that is)... on an Apple interface (strange, I didnt think Xara worked on Apple)... Ok but yes there are some useful flow diagram shapes in magenta. I guess that's it yes?

OK but what there isn't is any way of doing connectors. i.e. as soon as you move a shape relative to another shape the connecting line (AKA "edge") will need to be moved too, yes?

The error just says the document was created in a newer version but will open OK on 10.

I created the forms using the screen shot which I included for reference but the screen shot can be deleted and has nothing to do with Xara.

I would enable snap to grid and place the shapes where needed, then use the straight line tool to connect the shapes.

I attached another document with just the shapes, filled in and no screen shot.

It will open fine in older versions. Just ignore the warning.
    Attached Files Attached Files

@Gary P, the OP and I want dynamic connectors as per Gliffy (https://www.gliffy.com/home/) or MS Visio or any number of web applications.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I know that. But I don't think it is going to happen. It is not the focus of the product.

I know that. But I don't think it is going to happen. It is not the focus of the product.
    I can see many site designs that could benefit form such a capability.

Web sites do not need to be all flash and fancy.

In my corporate work, I deliver business process and using a web site is far more friendly than most presentation formats.
    I have created full Quality Management Systems using a hybrid of SharePoint and Xara embedded web pages with tooltips, pop-ups and navigation using little boxes with navigation flows.
    My work would have been far easier to add new flows with dynamic connectors.

I now use Gliffy and Confluence Atlassian tools in much the same way; Xara is well behind.

Acorn
    Last edited by Acorn; 22 April 2016 at 04:40 PM.
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

From a marketing perspective there do seem to be various variations of Xara with different focuses.

From a technical perspective maybe it's time for a fork?

It is almost a Dear Xara... moment.

A Smart Connector could simply be a curve that when its ends touch two shapes, the end is borrowed by the touching shape so any moves remain sticky.

Looking forward to the Smart Shape API.

Acorn