Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Designer Pro 6

Default Designer Pro 6

Hi,
    Is there a new book in the works for Designer Pro 6 in the horizon? or just addentdums.
    JimM
    IP

Default Re: Designer Pro 6

Hi Scotty—

Because The Official Guide is a collaborative effort between McGraw-Hill, the author, and The Xara Group, please understand that I cannot lay down specifics about the future of the Guide, because I don't have permission nor the economics at hand to pass out on a public forum.

That's not the answer you want, though, so what I can say at this point is:

•The will not be a new Xara Designer 6 Official Guide book, at least not written by me, and probably not by anyone else under this title's name. The timing wasn't good; we didn't have enough lead time to get a proposal through all the levels with the publisher.

•I have a semi-official blessing from all parties to post in PDF file format, totally free of charge, some addenda to the existing. I'll let everyone know when they're ready and up. In the mean time, hang close to The Xara Xone, because if I know Gary Priester, he'll have a detailed overview of new features posted before you know it.

•In addition to a new name for the product, there are indeed changes to existing features and significant improvements to existing ones. Many of them have to do with bitmap editing, but the new version 6 doesn't invalidate what I've written in the version 5 book. It's still a good entry point for new users, the techniques I cover still apply...it's just not a new book anymore.

My Best,

Gary
    IP

Thanks Gare for the reply...I completely understand...just thought I 'd ask..
    Look forward to any articles you endeavor to post..
    JimM
    IP

Though it's not a new book, it's an extremely good one Gare.....you should still be very proud.....
    Last edited by Karateed; 17 June 2010 at 08:12 PM. Reason: dumass spelling mistake
    Ed......:-)

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you.
    -Gandalf (from Lord of the Rings) - Xara s/w - Xara Designer Pro X11
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Karateed View Post
    Though it's not a new book, it's an extremely good one Gare.....you should still be very proud.....
    He certainly should, I still enjoy it, and look forward for the extra's.

[OT] karateed, (Reason: dumass spelling mistake)
    Is that something like lameass classes where men of pregnant have to go to?
    be aware, not to become a ware.
    IP

Yes. Thank you Gary. I purchased Xara Xtreme 5 The Official Guide last year and I have found it very helpful. Now that I have Xara Designer Pro 6, I will continue to use it. Thank you! - Steve
    IP

I'm a'workin' on some new content to support GDP 6, folks!
    IP

"I'm a'workin' on some new content to support GDP 6"

Excellent news Gary, this is just what I was going to ask you!
    IP

As long as the ink isn't dry on what I've written so far, I'm completely open to reader requests! I think we've all gleaned by now that the emphasis in version 6 is bitmaps, along with much enhanced website creation—lots of convenient widgets and placeholders.

Should I concentrate on drawing, new features, how to work differently to employ new features, all of the above?

Thanks!

Gary
    IP

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I would say all of the above, but one new feature that seems to confuse even some of the expert users is the opacity mask.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.
    IP