Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: Convert text to editable shape?

Just did some more homework on this scenario, Sledger. I went back into Xara Designer 6 to test again:
    In my Designer Pro 6, whether I type a single character or a whole word or several words, all I have to do is go Arrange > Convert to Editable Shapes, then double click on any letter and it brings up the Shape Editor tool with all point handles showing. However, if I try to bring up the Shape Editor tool by the conventional method of selecting it from the tool bar (instead of the double-click method) then in this case no point handles show. To make the point handles show by this method indeed I have to ungroup.
    In Pro X it is different. In Pro X, after converting text to an editable shape, if I double click a letter it brings up an “edit inside” sub-document. If I double click the letter again (now in the sub-document) it brings up yet another edit inside sub-document, and only then can I use the Shape Editor Tool and get the point handles showing – because by this stage it has been ungrouped twice.
    So the difference is that in Pro X the old double-click shortcut method of bringing up the point handles of an object in a group has been lost to the edit inside sub-document feature.
    I have only recently realized that the obvious alternative is to hold down the Ctrl key whilst selecting a letter and then you can select the Shape tool to bring up the point handles without having to ungroup at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Dilaco View Post
    In my Designer Pro 6, whether I type a single character or a whole word or several words, all I have to do is go Arrange > Convert to Editable Shapes, then double click on any letter and it brings up the Shape Editor tool with all point handles showing.
    Yes, you're right - I have never used that method..

Strictly speaking, if you simply select text and Convert to Editable Shapes, and then Ctrl-click on a letter, you should be able to edit the shape of that letter.

However, with my workflow I've gotten so used to Ctrl-Shift-S/Ctrl-U/Ctrl-U that I don't even consciously think about it any more.

-- Ben
    -----------------------
    Ben Morgan: ad1066 AT gmail thingy
    Chapter 13 Press: www.chapter13press.com
    Burn After Reading: www.burnafterreadingpress.com