Having said that I will not be interested in Win7 I downloaded the RC1 version and installed it onto a spare hard drive so as not to risk anything happening to my XPproSP3 installation.
The installation of Win 7 went through very rapidly without a hitch. I had a quick look round the new operating system and then plugged in my Canon printer. Win7 sneered at me when I offered the printer installation disk and went right ahead and installed the printer on its own so that all looked quite promising.
I plugged in my scanner but this time as well as sneering at my puny XP installation disk for the scanner it failed to recognise that my scanner even existed and refused to consider any compromise with the possible exception of showing me a map where I might buy a new scanner.
The next thing to be sneered at was my Creative X-Fi sound card, hardly an antique, but one that Win7 had no drivers for and Creative , not having heard of Windows7, have done nothing about so there was another disappointment.
I opened Windows Media Centre and was reminded that I hadn’t plugged in a TV receiver of any kind. So I did but again installation was not possible, though if it had been it would have been a little quiet without a sound card.
At that point I gave up and removed my temporary hard drive and reconnected my usual setup of XPProSP3.
Everything works fine as usual and helped me re-affirm my, ‘if it aint broke don’t fix it’ motto.
Change is all well and good but to have to mess about for weeks or simply replace otherwise perfectly good equipment because its not supported is not worth it for the sake of a few see through windows and a picture of a fish. It does seem to run faster than Vista though, but there again thats not hard and so does XP.
Derek