Quote Originally Posted by abligh View Post

Harmless
You wrote this in response to my comment about it not finding ImageMagick. But interestingly, that initial failure to find it explains the difference in behavior I got when I started the program from the command line versus opening it via the GUI.

Recall that when I tried to start it from the command line, the program displayed the splash logo and then immediately became unresponsive. It was using the CPU fully and it was failing to quit when asked to do so.

My initial experience opening it via the GUI, on the other hand, was that it opened fine, though it failed to find ImageMagick, and then crashed only when I tried to do something in the drawing window.

I opened it a second time and then closed it without doing anything else in order to create a preferences file, which I then edited to give the path to ImageMagick. I then found that when I opened it again via the GUI, it behaved exactly the same as when I had previously executed it from the command line (for which paths to ImageMagick were defined by my shell).

In other words, it is ImageMagick, most likely convert (since that appeared in the ps listing) that caused Xtreme to hang on start-up. I just thought this behavior might be significant to somebody. Clearly I will have to disable the path to IM again in order to successfully start Xtreme again, unless someone can suggest another fix.

It might be better to have this discussion on the dev list (see http://www.xaraxtreme.org/community/) by the way, there are more Mac folks there. I'm not sure they are a huge amount further forward than you though...

Alex
Since I haven't received the email with registration confirmation for that forum yet (I'm not sure whether a delay is normal or not), I'll just continue posting here for now.

Also, I may have to at least temporarly scale back my efforts to get Xtreme working, because I just discovered, and successfully installed, the package Inkscape, which looks like it might accomplish most of what I was looking for in a drawing package.

Thanks to both Ben and Alex for your efforts on behalf of getting Xtreme running on my Mac ... I'll try to stay tuned for news on this front.

I guess one thing I never found out is whether *anyone* out there has a more or less functioning copy of Xtreme running on an Intel-based Mac?

regards,
Grant