Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: Free .xar reader?

Hi Xhris,

I'm not sure how you can compare .xar with .pdf as they were developed for two entirely different purposes.

Adobe made the .pdf (Portable Document Format) as a means for companies to share documents put prevent the document from being easily edited as was common with word processing files. Graphic artists began using it for the same purpose (not easily edited by another person). It has over time been used for many other purposes and has become the default format for Adobe Illustrator. But it wasn't initially intended for that use.

The .xar format began as a vector graphics file and has had some improvements added as it has grown along with the program that creates it.

I can see that without knowing the history of the file formats it is easy to want to compare them and as .pdf becomes more of a graphics specific format there may be need to consider the similarities or merits of one over the other.

Currently .pdf is still used to a large extent to share text documents although the ability to edit them is more widely available AS freeware programs have appeared.
    Last edited by Soquili; 26 August 2006 at 05:15 PM.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Default Re: Free .xar reader?

Hi Soquili

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    I'm not sure how you can compare .xar with .pdf as they were developed for two entirely different purposes.
    To quote from the above link "The graphic primitives [of .xar] are broadly similar to those available in Postscript, PDF and SVG." Thus PDF and Xar are comparable. Their original purpose for development is (now) irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    ...there may be need to consider the similarities or merits of one over the other.
    My point entirely.