I have installed the Windows 8 consumer preview version on my Desktop computer, and I can't say I totally love it.
It was designed for use in a tablet so the experience on a desktop isn't great. In a word I would call it awkward.
Perhaps the biggest shortcoming is the lack of a start button. So accessing your programs has to be done via a Metro interface icon or a desktop shortcut.
So If you thought your desktop was cluttered before, be prepared for more chaos in Windows 8 !

Several programs seemed to disappear entirely after installation until I drilled down to the program folder and started the program as Administrator. ( My computer > local disk C > Programs > folder for program you are looking for > locate the program's executable program icon, right click on it and choose "Run as Administrator". ) You will then get a window that asks if it is OK to let this program make changes to your computer. Click on the "OK" button, and the program will finish installing. Hopefully it will create program icons. If not you will have to make them yourself ( as in creating shortcuts ).

If you stop using your computer for a while it will put itself to sleep. Useful for quick restarts. However, if you want to shut it all the way down there is no easily accessible button, you have to use "Control-Alt-delete", then sign out, then click on the power icon in the lower right hand corner, then click "Shut down". ( at least that is the only way I've found so far )

Does this sound "Better" than what you are using now? I don't think so !

- Andy