Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: Huge jump in file size from xara file to PDF export

Hi Wide, Yep, those are the same settings. So likely as mentioned, it is further optimization Xara has done with the export filter.
    Quote Originally Posted by WideEyedLife View Post
    ...Not quite ready to give up on this printer, quite yet.
    I fully understand. I have a particular service bureau I have done work with since 1989 and will do work with them as long as we both are in business. But I am not always in control of where the work goes and so the printer has to be capable of doing the work. Which for some clients mean they have to choose a different printer. For instance, the last book I did had the PDF at about 1.25 gigabytes for the interior.

There isn't any way to get your PDF smaller than I have done without lowering the DPI. It's a limitation of the physical size of a bitmaps being used for the page.

Only vector elements will reduce the PDF size. Do you have vector elements of these pages?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    Hi Wide, Yep, those are the same settings. So likely as mentioned, it is further optimization Xara has done with the export filter.
    It appears I'm doing the same thing you are, settings wise.

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    you are using designer pro 6 ? - it's possible that the export filters for that version are not as 'efficient' as the later ones [mike I think uses ver 9, I use version 8]

Let's see if I get this---
    Based on the two comments above, it's possible that my problem is an antiquated version of Xara that isn't as efficient at exporting PDFs?

So if I download the latest version of Xara Pro my PDF file size may go down?

Download the trial and see for yourself is the best way to know. Version X10 has had further work as regards PDFs. At least for import. I don't know about export. Handrawn was correct that I use X9.

Mike

Adobe had the same problem with users complaining in their forums when AI CS2 was released the file size increased by 3 fold. Their reply was much the same as Mike's it was the meta info carried in the file but also the thumbnail of the file. They since have reduced the PDF export file size down as the CS numbers have increased and it looks like Xara's import filter supplier has done the same (were they Proteus?).
    Design is thinking made visual.