Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Exclamation Publish help please

I currently have my site hosted by Geocities (which will change as soon as I can) but I need to update my site as soon as I can. I have my new site done and I entered in the ftp site, my login and my password. The program goes through everything except I guess while it is logging in to Geocities, it says that my password was not allowed. What the heck does that mean? I can go into the site from IE and do all kinds of stuff.

PLEASE help!!

Thank you so much in advance

Angela

Default Re: Publish help please

Hi Angela,

In Web Designers Publish settings, your Sub-folder (optional) field may need to be written similar to : /pub/mysitename/

interesting. would it be like geocities/mysite or with the www.geocities.com/mysite?

No that would be wrong because that is the HTTP address, not the FTP address.

Checking via a Google search it appears that Geocities FTP path uses /pub/ as previously mentioned.
    If unsure, best to contact Geocities support and ask about the correct FTP settings.

Just for my future reference, what words did you use for finding this out? This way I can become a bit more knowledgable about the web site stuff so that when I transfer from Geocities I can do it easier.

ok, I just tried that and it still said that my password was not allowed.

Which hosting company do you all use? I am beginning to wonder if that is not my problem.

I use a Sydney host 'Commoncents Solutions' for my business site and '3iX' for my fun site/s.
    3iX are very cheap and very reliable for the price and full features they provide.

Quote Originally Posted by helavagal View Post
    I currently have my site hosted by Geocities (which will change as soon as I can)...
    You will have to Angela, unfortunately, as Yahoo are closing it down. I use Hostroute: their documentation is quite good, there's all the features I need, I've had no major problems with them and they've responded quickly when I've been confused . The package I have means I am classed as a 'reseller' though I don't do any reselling [!], it just means I have enough space for 5 sites which I use for friends & family. There are a lot of hosts out there including freebie ones, but these tend to offer little space and, of course, are prone to being closed down. Can I suggest that when you've got a 'shopping list' of hosts you Google for problems with them? Can be very helpful I found: there's always going to be some problems, but some have a lot more problems than others

PS I do not work for Hostroute or get commission - I'm just happy with them ... so far.

PPS Just noticed, my package is now not classified as 'reseller' - it's the multiple domains one
    Last edited by zaphodeist; 25 May 2009 at 02:54 AM. Reason: update - PS 2
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

I use my own I wont start waffling on about it personal gain and all that lol

Going back to your original ftp issue, and Im not saying the built in Xara ftp is no good hell I haven't even tried it but......... As your sites grow you may wish to add in extra scripts and things to make your sites more useful, for instance maybe a forum as an example. Sometimes you need to perform directory maintenance, this can be done from you hosting control panel but it take miliseconds from a "real" ftp client.

They are the easiest things in the world to use and really theres no excuse for not starting to use one of them from day 1, you will have to get to grips with one at some stage........

There are a gazillion of them smart ftp, cute ftp and mine own favourite wsftp pro a rock solid piece of software thats so user friendly its untrue literally drag and drop!

I have read a couple of threads on here where people have pointed out they have made "minor" changes to a page then had to upload the whole site through the xara ftp client, in a standalone piece of software you could just re-upload the page you have tweaked. 1 point to mention though and I found this out at 5am this morning If you add graphics of any description from the design gallery or indeed as I did copy and paste from a graphic already on your pages you will have to at the least re-upload that graphic to the images file. Took em about an hour this morning trying to figure out why my pics had gone all strange lol.

I assumed (stupidly of me but it was early) that because I had copied and pasted it would use the same graphic but upon export it rendered a new one with a new file name hence the problem.

Have to say built my first site in xara during the night last night and I am HUGELY impressed what a fantastic piece of software.

Anyway enough waffling oh yeah and cough cough find a decent host!

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisBro View Post
    ......I have read a couple of threads on here where people have pointed out they have made "minor" changes to a page then had to upload the whole site through the xara ftp client, in a standalone piece of software you could just re-upload the page you have tweaked.......I assumed (stupidly of me but it was early) that because I had copied and pasted it would use the same graphic but upon export it rendered a new one with a new file name hence the problem.
    That's the whole point ... XWD knows nothing about files, folders, names etc. It generates a whole web site from the graphics every time you publish. Publishing (and only publishing) generates the HTML. So if you tweak the site, the graphics may have completely different names when it's published. If you delete the first graphic, every graphic on the site may be renamed when you publish. That's the very reason that the ftp publisher in XWD is set up to republish the whole site not small pieces of it.

I know people think that the time is important, why???? A 1/2hr upload is automatic, doesn't take any work and is painless. Why fight it. Upload the whole site. Surely it's not that time sensitive ....
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.