I'm very glad that worked for you Cottager. I had installed PSP 7 on an old Win98 PC today. The .reg was created on the Win98 PC, that is why it was Regedit 4.

I remember PSP being a shareware program years ago. I downloaded and played a bit with it but did not have the time to devote to learning it.

Years later I download the trial version 5, followed by 6. I finally had some time to learn and bought version 7 and was sent a complimentary copy of the Anniversary edition. I upgraded to version 8 and was sent the patch to update to 8.1 and that is where I stopped upgrading. I was debating about getting version 9 when Corel bought Jasc.

Shortly after I bought PSP version 7 I discovered Xara X. Vector drawing was more intuitive to me and I've used Xara X constantly and have upgraded with every new release.

What are your system specs? Which version of XP, how much RAM, CPU speed?

Do you have a large image for your desktop wallpaper? Wallpapers take up system RAM, forcing a lot of disc writes that would otherwise be done in RAM.

Are a lot of programs start when XP starts? Those take up resources that could be freed up until actually needed for the application. Apple Quicktime is a resouce hungry application that does not need to be started at system boot time.

Remove any application shortcuts from the Startup folder that you do not need to start immedately.

Delete any HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run keys for programs that you do not want to start at boot time.

That will free up resources.