Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: How do you feel about the 365 Program?

If you don't renew, you are going to lose a lot more than you possibly imagine.

To check, switch off your Internet and try and build a site page.
    Other than hunting through screeds of resource, you do not now have a Find utility.
    Download all the resource you can and burn to a DVD.

Make a note of all the new updates following your purchase that you used to build, design and publish your signature site.
    Editing thereafter won't work should your version roll back to the purchase date version you bought.
    No Xara Publish so learn how to use Filezilla.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post

To check, switch off your Internet and try and build a site page.
    Other than hunting through screeds of resource, you do not now have a Find utility.
    Download all the resource you can and burn to a DVD.

Make a note of all the new updates following your purchase that you used to build, design and publish your signature site.
    Editing thereafter won't work should your version roll back to the purchase date version you bought.

Acorn
    And this right here, these workarounds are why people are more and more moving away from Adobe. There's only so much people will put up with this. Someone will always be die hard and just stick to their favorite tool no matter how poopy the changes make them feel, but overall, just in the last couple of years, I've heard nothing but complaints about Adobe's business model affecting their workflow, breaking their files, corrupting aspects of their templates and all of this. Personally, I'm not really into the clip art, tho some of the clip shapes are useful, the more generic they are and lend themselves to edits (i.e. arrows and the like). But even this...again, why does this have to be hooked up to the internet and why is everything based on micropurchase, dlc and subscriptions? Why are we having to pay year round for software that we used to not have to do that, only to have to also pay in bandwidth and lost time for server downloads when it should already be localized?

As I said, Xara's engine stands head and shoulders above every other vector illustration tool out there. There's no contest in my book, even without new 'fangled' things like 'puppet warp' and grid transforms. Those are tricks, those aren't tools and Xara accells in tools and they're about to make that less and less obvious the more they bloat it out like they have been and combine that with subscription, what little market they have they can basically say bye bye to. People like me will start considering rolling back to older versions just to get around this mess altogether. I don't know how the full Designer Pro/Web Designer stuff deals with FTPs, but as you said...if I end up getting the full suite, if I know in the end if I don't upgrade I'm gonna lose the convenience, i might as well inconvenience myself now just to be used to it. So thanks for that heads up.
    See my some of artwork and hear some of my music at www.kniteforcerevolution.com

To check, ......

Acorn
    No Xara Publish? That is not a new feature that came out after purchasing XDPX(12 or 365). I expect to still be able to publish my web site as before and as I could in the previous versions. Do you have confirmation of this from Xara?

I received a DVD with XDPX (didn't we all?). I just did a reinstall of W10 and had to reinstall everything, so instead of the download version that I used last time, I used the DVD to install. All of the content that was available is now in my Local gallery. before the anniversary date, I will go and download everything that I may not have and probably won't ever use, and back it all up.

As for the websites, I haven't used anything that is new - only text updates. My Xara hosting will continue and I will pay for that next January (see my post about my problems with using the coupon).

So, for me, I don't foresee any real negative consequences of not upgrading. I rarely go into the on-line content as it is.

What else do you foresee as problems of not renewing?
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

My bad, I meant no publish to a Xara-hosted location.
    Sorry about getting the detail wrong but this is my point, until it happens, we are guessing what gets disconnected and what the impact will be.

On the DVD content, there was a period where not all of the business templates were provided at it overflowed the DVD size. I never got a DVD as I was an upgrade.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

My bad, I meant no publish to a Xara-hosted location.
    Sorry about getting the detail wrong but this is my point, until it happens, we are guessing what gets disconnected and what the impact will be.

On the DVD content, there was a period where not all of the business templates were provided at it overflowed the DVD size. I never got a DVD as I was an upgrade.

Acorn
    Hi,

I also upgraded each year starting with XDPX9, X10, X11 and X12, on-line, and each year Xara sent me a DVD, and with the exception of X12, a laminated shortcuts reference card. I don't recall paying an extra for this CD/DVD, it just came. However, each time I installed the downloaded version, except for the reinstall of last week.

As for hosting.Xara, if you have the free access, it will disappear. If you used the coupon that also gets you a web site domain (M website package) along with hosting.Xara, that remains for one year from activation, and then you either pay, or use a new coupon as I just did. Of course, if you don't renew your main subscription, there will be no free coupon for the M website package one-year subscription. I wonder if there will be a coupon for this even with a renewal.

The other thing lost will be the Premium access to the on-line Designer. Client editing should still continue, as it is free.

John
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)