Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Re: Just Released: A New Version of Web Designer

Saving updates - only those who are in the know would likely do so, thus it is not an acceptable solution. It was just mentioned in the German forum.

Presently, Magix has all of the purchased programs in the user account, and the user can download a copy at any time. Once downloaded and installed, there is usually a second large download required from within the program, that contains all of the content, plugins, etc. Then there is the update (patch) and the latest is always available in the user account. With the new subscription method, Magix/Xara would have to keep track of all updates (new features) that the user acquired during the subscription period and make these available to the user, permanently. The latest bug patch would also have to be available. This is the only way that I can see that it could work. Then if the user has to reinstall after the end of the subscription period and did not subscribe for another year, at least the program and the "purchased" upgrades would be available to be downloaded. Surely this could be done.

John

Quote Originally Posted by browj2 View Post
    Saving updates - only those who are in the know would likely do so..
    point I was making
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

If you don't renew after the year is up... They should send you the DVD with the latest version you paid for including the updates/patches that came out during that year.

As a parting gift of some sort

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Shouldn't need to wait for a CD to come in the mail. I think that the software shouldn't revert at all It should just stop receiving updates after 365 days unless the license is renewed and access to the content catalogue stops too.

And It shouldn't matter if your computer crashes, or you need to reinstall the software if your license is current it should install the most current version. If your license has expired it should install the last updated version you had before expiration.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Quote Originally Posted by angelize View Post
    Shouldn't need to wait for a CD to come in the mail. I think that the software shouldn't revert at all It should just stop receiving updates after 365 days unless the license is renewed and access to the content catalogue stops too.

And It shouldn't matter if your computer crashes, or you need to reinstall the software if your license is current it should install the most current version. If your license has expired it should install the last updated version you had before expiration.
    I very much doubt Xara will listen to yours, and many other users 'common sense' comments already posted. The only way I can see there being a chance of a 'U' turn is for the majority to boycott upgrading to 365, and maybe then they might just reconsider their position. Microsoft did with their Xbox one and their original decision to have the consoles needing a constant connection to the internet. An extreme reaction from the user base did the trick.

if your license is current it should install the most current version.

There's no dispute about that.

If your hard drive was OK, you would have access to all updates up to the point your subscription expired. You could carry on using that software indefinitely.

The problem is what happens if you don't renew your licence and your hard drive dies or you buy a new computer. What are you left with? What version will Xara let you install?

The answer, I think most people would expect, is that you should be allowed to install the version that you had at the time the subscription expired. Doing that might prove a bit of a logistical problem to administer. Doing anything else leaves people feeling as though they've paid for something they can't use anymore.

Currently, in the non-subscription model, you'd be re-downloading the last release that you purchased and all the available updates to that.

It's a tricky thing.

what this also means I guess, based on current definition of 'new computer', is that if you change your hardware config after the one year you'll revert too... even if you just repartition a disk.... that is really, really, silly
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

HELLO Xara/Magix. Are you listening? You've now completely confused your user base.

Many members are obviously confused by the new 365 update. I am. Do I now own Xara Web Designer 365, Photo & Graphic Designer 365, Xara Designer Pro 365, or any other variation of the software you produce?

There's obviously a lot of confusion re this release and you're not communicating it clearly and simply to TG members.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by angelize View Post

That's what we do with our software (nothing to do with web or graphic design). We have an annual support plan. Users get updates throughout the year. If the plan is not renewed they can still download and install any updates up to the date the support plan expired. Of course, updates after that are not available to them unless they renew their support plan. This means if they replace a hard-drive or buy a new computer they can install the software again and install all of the updates up to the expiry date.

FWIW

= Steve

Well, I will just be sticking with what I have got, no 365 for me!!
    If you haven't the ability to generate your own ideas - don't pinch mine.

If in doubt, read the manual/help files