Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This image came from a post in the Xara X Conference Simple Corroded Copper Effect Tutorial which was in response to a challenge from Ross Sr. (has anyone heard anything from Ross Jr., web site designer and teller of other tall tales?)

I was rather pleased with the image and think it has a few really good moves.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rusty_G_2.jpg 
Views:	437 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	15058  

This image came from a post in the Xara X Conference Simple Corroded Copper Effect Tutorial which was in response to a challenge from Ross Sr. (has anyone heard anything from Ross Jr., web site designer and teller of other tall tales?)

I was rather pleased with the image and think it has a few really good moves.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

Here is another approach to the peeling finish over partially rusty metal.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	G_2.jpg 
Views:	440 
Size:	21.4 KB 
ID:	12049  

sheer agony, looking at that poor G and not being able to fix it! It's just so painfully realistic ... brilliant.

Regards,
    Britta
    Regards,
    Britta

... design! The peeling paint on the "G" is fantastic!

By the way, great job on the February tut! It is the first one I have done in a while.

Risto

risto@ristoklint.com

Visit my web site!

WOW, Gary...........

OK, I see that I was right, the cracked effect from the Feb tut and the rust work very nicely together.

Wont even ask how you achieved that effect on the "G", actually I think I know how to do it, that must have been some work to do all those little cutaway's. But the end result is wonderful.

Question..........I got stuck on the Feb. tutorial. I was able to get the text done in my own way, but your way....I just couldn't get it.

I got stuck on page 7 towards the middle to bottom of the page, where you have us 'combine shapes > add shapes. From what I gather, you have the text on top of a white rectangle, then on top of the checkered rectangle. I'm confused in this area.

1) are all the checkers that form the rectangle 'grouped' or not??

2) is the text object and the white rectangle grouped?? then once placed on top of the checkered rectangle, then do a 'select all' and do the Combine Shapes > Add Shapes??

That is the one area that just did not compute to me.

Anyone help here??

Thanks and again, can you say Masterpiece?? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

RAMWolff [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

have to be ungrouped first. The whole idea of that drill was to make four L-shapes in the corners which is what happens when you Combine Shapes > Add Shapes to two rectangles.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

Gary, that looks so good I am off to try the tutorial.Once again it is what you do with the light that gets me..thanks tao

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Tooo cool! Great effect Gary.

I have a sad story about flaking enamel to relate. About ten years ago I developed interpretive panels for exterior use at Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia. It was an ambitious project as it was necessary to do all the researching, writing, design, and illustration for a series of about ten panels. The panel illustrations were pen&ink sketches with airbrush colouring. They were reproduced full-colour in porcelain enamel on steel. This technology has the potential to last 25 to 30 years outdoors without fading.

Now for the sad part: I went back to look at them this year. I was dismayed to see vandals had smashed a couple of the panels with rocks and had flaked off a few chunks of the porcelain. It would cost about 5 thousand dollars to replace each panel at this point - so replacement is unlikely to happen. Where the enamel is flaked the steel is now rusting - much like Gary's big "G".

If you are ever to Peggy's Cove please do visit the panels. Please don't smash them with a rock [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] - I think they are good enough that they don't deserve that kind of treatment. (If you are at the Cove, also visit the DeGarthe Gallery - I designed it, and along with my wife, designed The Breakwater Inn).

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

...the way you take a concept and turn it into a complete image in such a short time.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Soquili
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update