Quote Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
steve is absolutely right. The whole point of a mobile version of your site is that it makes it perfect for viewing and navigating on a mobile device, so by adding a 'desktop' button is implying either that the desktop version is better and more user friendly than the mobile version or it contains something which the mobile version doesn't. Yes you might find some old sites (even from some big names) which do this whole 'visit desktop' version but believe me they are either in the process of changing that or they are completely wrong.
I came across this topic via a search for this exact topic. I am surprised at the responses some have given that border on being rude and insulting. I don't see how anyone can tell another web designer they are completely wrong as a blanket statement.

This is actually something that DOES have it's place in the world even though you and some others don't think so. I have a General Contractor I do the website for and he wants lots of photos posted of his projects. There are pages and pages of his projects and some of them have 50-60+ photos p/ page. It would be very "unfriendly" to have all those photos on a mobile version of a site not to mention a nightmare for the person updating the site who has to add them in 2 different ways. In this instance having a note directing the visitor to go to the main site to see all of his project photos just make sense.

Not every website is suited for a mobile phone/device and that does not make the design of the site wrong. I do another site with a lot of slideshows for another client. They are big so they would take a long time to download on a phone plus they would be small and not as visually pleasing to view on a small device. Definitely another instance where going to the main site would be beneficial to the viewer.

I wish people could just answer the questions without all the commentary.