Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PDF creation

I need to create PDFs from XaraX1 and other apps such as MS word and some DTP software I use.

I recall Charles @ Xara recommending pdf995 on these forums.

I will try this, but my question is, does it interpret EPS files? For example, if I import an EPS file into something like PagePlus which does not interpret them, then print from that app to pdf995, will the EPS appear properly in the resulting PDF?

Any recommendation for PDF creation software that does EPS properly would be appreciated!

And not expensive Adobe prices, please http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

I need to create PDFs from XaraX1 and other apps such as MS word and some DTP software I use.

I recall Charles @ Xara recommending pdf995 on these forums.

I will try this, but my question is, does it interpret EPS files? For example, if I import an EPS file into something like PagePlus which does not interpret them, then print from that app to pdf995, will the EPS appear properly in the resulting PDF?

Any recommendation for PDF creation software that does EPS properly would be appreciated!

And not expensive Adobe prices, please http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

The problem I have with PDF995 is the trial version roots itself into your computer and registry and is hard to get rid of. Plus every time you make a PDF file, it launches your browser and plays an ad until you purchase it. And for the price they are asking it is OK, not great.

I have also used CuteFTP which is a bit more gentlemanly.

Jens swears by GhostScript which I beleive can also produce a PDF file.

And there are several others that have been mentioned recently in this forum (look at some of the other posts with PDF questions).

I'm not sure about your question of displaying an EPS file. I know that CorelDRAW and open an EPS using their EPS Interpreted Import filter which displays the contents of the file and permits some editing.

Adobe has just introduced their Creative Suite 2 and they recently introduced Acrobat 7. You might do a search on Google for Acrobat and see if you can buy a copy of Acrobat 6 which you should be able to buy for a lot less than the latest version. What you get for the money is a very full-featured and professional way to create PDF files for giving to a printer. Plus a lot of built in support for marking up and sharing of PDF files with workgroups, clients, etc.

While PDF995 and CuteFTP and other programs like these are very inexpensive, about all they can do is create a bare bones PDF file with little room to create a profile or modify the settings. So if you want a heavy duty PDF program, these will not do. If you just want a bare bones PDF file then they are fine for this.

Gary

Good idea, Gary. I will look for Acrobat 6 I think.

About EPS files... the two DTP programs I use don't interpret EPS files. For example, PagePlus gives a low resolution preview and upon PDF export (done natively), it remains as a low resolution preview.

Therefore, I need to print to PDF whereby EPS files are appropriately interpreted ready for high-resolution printing.

I remember you mentioning using TIFFs when I posted about the subject, which I will do. I thought that since I need a PDF driver, I might as well get one that solves the EPS problem, too.

If you are using PagePlus why not upgrade to at least ver.9 or 10 that creates your PDF file and it is as easy that and handles layers etc. Also you can easily open Word docs inside P/Plus and it nearly keeps the same formating although you have to select all and reformat the text when you open directly.

Your output from these 2 ver's. is PDF X-1a or PostScript files which is better in some respects than Acro 6. It is far easier to use PP than GhostView and does not have the web link of PDF995 and if you want, you can use the Wizard and send your files to Serif UK to get printed there and they are cheap, should say not that expensive.

I paid £21 for version 9 after it was out for 6 months and I do not consider that very much money for such a reasonable programme. My only gripe about using PP for printing it does not really like large format printing where you are trying to print multiple copies of brochures, as you physicallly have to duplicate the brochure on a large page size making Xara the easier way to do this. Why not buy from Serif and you will have technical and forum backup if you have any problems.
    Design is thinking made visual.

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

Correcto - you can generate many file formats with GhostScript and GSView. GhostScript is free, and GSView shareware for 30-40 US$.

The PDF files created with GhostScript are over the top.

The only missing feature: password protection.
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Albacore: I have PagePlus9. Seems nice enough, but it appears to be useless with .eps files. I create a simple logo in XaraX (avoiding anything that would create bitmaps), then import into PP. PP displays a poor preview image. In an exported PDF file, the EPS image remains a thoroughly unprintable preview image that looks terrible on-screen, too.

Michael,

You can try to export your file from Xara as Adobe Illustrator file but replace extension from .ai to .eps when exporting. -- I just thought you are exporting your file as Xara's eps file because you said about low-resolution preview. Try my 'method', it should work.

Good luck!\
    Lead designer,
    MichelMour LLC

Alexander

If you use the Illustrator *.eps export, does it support bevels, fills and transparency that is not linear or circluar, Xara's soft shadows, and other effects that are not supported by Illustrator?

Gary

To answer my own question. I exported this image as an Adobe *.eps file and tried to place it in Adobe InDesign. I got an error message that said InDesign (CS2) could not create a preview image, and that the image might not print and might not display in a PDF file.

Then I exported the same image as a Xara EPS. The image placed fine in InDesign and with the High Quality display option, displays fine.

Gary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test-image.gif 
Views:	382 
Size:	16.8 KB 
ID:	19269