Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xdraw.jpg 
Views:	400 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	364  

!!!

Uh oh ...back to the real draw debate in the XaraX forum >>> OH NO...NOT THE TEAR GAS GARY!!!

Nice job at the interface. I personally don't think Real Draw can replace XaraX at all but I think Real Draw can do certain things quickly which look neat. And with the latest patch, some things were fixed which makes it even better(those transparencies were kindof limiting before).

Anyway perhaps all this might lead to some interesting abilities for XaraX in the future (lights on objects , bump maps, perspective on fills)

David K
    www.dkingdesign.com

Nice mooching off Real-Draw there, David! RD is indeed an amazing program - and all made by one man named Oscar! Yes, lighted bumpmaps in XX would be a great feature.

K
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

Don't forget you can create bump map behaviour by creating a bitmap from an object which reflects the lighting state and applying it as a bitmap transparency with the brightness type.
    This will lighten and darken images according to the greyscale level of the bitmap just as a BMP map does.
    See the bevel mainia thread for an example.

Mark Goodall
    Xara Ltd

It's possible to simulate RealDRAW output in X (you can also emboss bitmaps to create bump maps), but as yet it's not fast or simple. Xara Ltd have already done the lighting thing in X3D and, to a lesser extent, the bevel tool, so it seems like a logical progression to add enhanced texture / lighting effects to the next versions.

Time marches on and version 10 (or X) of anything will soon be 'old hat' (as we say in the UK). I doubt we'll get any official comment, but I'd suggest that this would be an excellent feature to hook new users.

Regards - Sean
    Regards - Sean

Klaus said "Nice mooching off Real-Draw" ... did you mean me in which case I'm not sure what you mean. Maybe my mooching is different than your mooching (there are just some words that are just naturally funny [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] ...)

David K
    www.dkingdesign.com