Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XP Graphics

If it seems like I have been missing in action, I have. I have been trying to figure out the OS graphics for Windows XP, which I like much better than the MAC OS X.

Here is a Xara recreated version of some of the title bars, buttons, and icons using the Windows XP Silver appearance settings.

These fills are very complex, much more so than the MAX gel look (IMHO--which never is :-)

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XP.png 
Views:	547 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	18066  

If it seems like I have been missing in action, I have. I have been trying to figure out the OS graphics for Windows XP, which I like much better than the MAC OS X.

Here is a Xara recreated version of some of the title bars, buttons, and icons using the Windows XP Silver appearance settings.

These fills are very complex, much more so than the MAX gel look (IMHO--which never is :-)

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

I know some people don't like the XP interface, but I think it's really good.

It could be better, and I think it's about time we started seeing some really good themes coming out for windows XP... it's a shame MS aren't (or don't seem to be) doing any themselves. Nobody knows XP inside out like MS do, surely!!

Michael Ward
    http://www.metalandplastics.co.uk
    http://www.leighcenturions.net

Gary, does your XP switch mean we won't have to suffer your old, horrid screenshot colors anymore? If so, I'm grateful! But the look of XP is way too fancy for my taste - just see how that top bar clashes with the XaraX palette, which is blessedly simple and flat. I want my OS to be unobtrusive, and not jump into my face - one more reason to not switch from W2K to XP. And W2K is faster and more stable than XP, too.

K

K
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/
    www.klausnordby.com/xara
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

I'll change the XP colors to match my old tan and teal colors just for you Klaus :-)

Actually, the screen shots are not screen shots. With very few exceptions, each button and menu is a vector object that I created in Xara and reuse as needed. (It would be really helpful to have Illustrator 10's symbols capabilities).

So until I create a new page of UI items, you'll have to suffer along with everyone else.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

Happy New Year to you OH Master of the 'X' ; )

Did you have to download 100 patches for other software that you are using?? I have a friend that just got a new machine that was preloaded with XP and he's got all sorts of compatibility problems. Lost the use of his scanner, there was no slot for the scuzzy thingy. and numerous other problems.

Also, in your HO what is the deal with the reload code thing. I am curious but I too use Win2000 and I like it alot, but then there's that curiousity thing too. My Gateway is supposedly XP ready and all that, but....

Does it come with partitioning capabilities?? Win2000 allows you to create partitions right in the environment without restarting. Haven't figured out how to resize an existing partition yet, probably can, don't know.

Compatibiltiy, partitioning and reloading the machine if need be are the things that keep me away from this OS.

I know this is a XaraX forum, but you brought it up ; )

Thanks Gary..

RAMWolff [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

These features are one of the maine reasons I'd like to switch to XP (Got 98 now). I'd love to be able to completely design my own desktop! I'd need a faster comp. first, but that's besides the point. Looks Good Gary!

Steve Newport
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

Personally I would reccomend XP.

I have had a great expereince with it - it has been more stable than 2000, has better compatability on software than Windows 2000 and whilst it runs a little slower, I can probably blame this on my ancient hardware (I'm running a celery 466!!)

Apart from the above, it is everything Windows 2000 is and more.

Consider it heartily reccomended! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Michael Ward
    http://www.metalandplastics.co.uk
    http://www.leighcenturions.net

XP is based in the Win2K code, so pretty much anything that ran on 2K will run on XP - the exception being low level stuff like some virus checkers and disk tools.

I've not had any issues with software running on XP. In fact some titles that wouldn't run on 2K will run fine on XP. And it seems to have drivers for most things built in.

If you don't like the look, you can configure it all away. You can make an XP system look exactly the same as a 2K system.

It boots faster, and task switches faster than 2K (I won't even comment on the 9x/ME line).

[for RAMWolf]
    It has the exact same disk manager as 2K, so you can do the same things with disk partitions.
    [/for RAMWolf]

I'd recommend it. It's probably not a required upgrade for someone with 2K, but 9x/ME users will definately benefit from it.

I had a problem with my HP scanners with drivers for them (hp Scanjet5p and HP Phot Smart SCSi)these scanneres run on scsi cards which windows ME didn't have drivers for ( everytime I wnt to use them they were out of commission. So I stopped upgrading windows.
    Jim
    Intel i7-2600 processor 3.4GH, Windows 10 64Bit, 12GB Memory, Geforce 960 2Gb graphics card