Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hi RamWolff
    I got the DAZ studio program on my computer and I ordered the 3d starter pack. I am new to this , it looks like fun so I thought I would give it a try. I have downloads now for .exe files and .sit files. I wondered if you can tell me what the .sit files are? I don't know if I need to download those or not.
    I have a download for starter_All.exe and then there are a bunch of individual files. LIke for animals, dragon , etc. Do I need to download allof those? Or are they included in the all file?
    I don't know why there are so many files when I just ordered the starter content kit? I guess I will insTALL THE ALL file and see what happens. Any advice you can give is appreciated.
    I have Bryce 5 too so I want to export from DAZ and then import into Bryce and do my scene renderings there.
    Thanks!

Bruce.
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire

Hi RamWolff
    I got the DAZ studio program on my computer and I ordered the 3d starter pack. I am new to this , it looks like fun so I thought I would give it a try. I have downloads now for .exe files and .sit files. I wondered if you can tell me what the .sit files are? I don't know if I need to download those or not.
    I have a download for starter_All.exe and then there are a bunch of individual files. LIke for animals, dragon , etc. Do I need to download allof those? Or are they included in the all file?
    I don't know why there are so many files when I just ordered the starter content kit? I guess I will insTALL THE ALL file and see what happens. Any advice you can give is appreciated.
    I have Bryce 5 too so I want to export from DAZ and then import into Bryce and do my scene renderings there.
    Thanks!

Bruce.
    Bruce
    Artist For Hire

Can't answer all - RamWolf needed here - but re the sit files - I downloaded them too before reaqlising they are for the MAC, the exe is for the PC.

Have you tried runnig DAZ yet - I was having fun with it, but then it started to crash on me - not trying to put you off, want to get back to it, but think I need some sort of patch for my PC.

Turan

Thank you Turan , for the help. Now I know what .sit files are for. So I won't waste my time downloading them.
    Now I have to decide what .exe files I should save.
    I have installed Daz on 2 different computers and no problems. One is running windows ,2000 pro, and the other iz XP.
    Of course , I have not done much with the program other than open some characters put on some clothes pose them and then export as .obj so I can use them in Bryce.
    I will see what happens as I do more but no crashes!
    Bruce
    Artist For Hire

Hey Bruce,

How are ya?? Haven't seen you around for a while. PP is closing down and I think the last time I saw you post was there. I've not been around much since I got kid napped by the 3D program monster. I'm now "one of them"!! Eeek!!

Yea, .sit files are for the MAC plateform, so don't bother. Since you got an account now it's easy to turn those off from showing up in your downloads area. Just go to Account Preferences/Your Preferences and in the drop down menu next to "n your available downloads section, you prefer to see: " choose Windows PC Files Only" and *POOF* no more files that don't apply to your plateform there to make it all the more confusing and less scrolling too if you have alot of files to download!!

Yea, the starter kit comes in either an ALL package for those with a fast download line or broken up into smaller files for those of us with 56K or less lines! Very kind of DAZ. I still prefer the smaller files anyway, they actually install much quicker as there is less info for the installer to read and unpack and install. I think I made that mistake one time and boy it was very painful to see that indicator going SO slowly. I just learned patience that night for sure!!

DAZ is usually very generous getting new folks started out so yea, there are lots of nice freebies they give you.

I've heard some horror stories about this current release of DAZ Studio but you know this is one of the more stable ones in the last 3 releases so I'm not complaining. So Turan, you might want to give it another try.

Do note that with each new release of DAZ Studio (known as D|S as well) your content files for downloading will be renewed. If there are any new content files added then it will be mentioned on the main DAZ Studio info page that you are directed too each time there is a new release. So read carefully to make sure. If you do not see anything pertaining to the content files then don't bother downloading them again as they are not updated. If you are interested in a Spot Rendering tool then make sure you download this file each time a newer version is released as this file NEEDS to be reinstalled each time to work properly with the newer version of D|S.

Notes to remember: Be patient, have fun and ask lot's of questions. I'm an old newbie at this point but hardly a master of this program or of the Poser characters. So please make sure and join in at the DAZ forums. If you are using DAZ Studio as your main program then join in at the DAZStudio Discussion and for issues with the characters, props and/or just questions and even silly fun then make sure and post at The Commons forum. If your into Bryce then make sure and ask your questions in the BryceTalk forums that is appropriate to your needs.

If there is anything I CAN help you with ask freely but know that I am in the middle of packing up my house right now and will be pretty busy for the next few weeks getting moved and settled in. I can't wait for all this to be over with!!

All the best to ya Bruce!
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Hi Richard
    Thanks for all of the information and encrouagement. I hope that you got moved ok. I will look for you over at the D|S forums as well. I did not know that the PP was going to shut down. Hmm, I better go check that out.
    Bruce
    Artist For Hire