Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I have two very good friends who design wine labels in Napa Valley, which is where Chimney Rock Winery is located (right below what is known as Chimney Rock and just down the road from Stagg's Leap.

I'll send this off to them and see if they can track it down.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

Good suggestion to check with the winery. Frankly that's where I started months ago. The label was designed back in the early 80's and the designer was no longer around. I was told tho' by someone in the know that it was an "off the shelf" font hence this thread...

Well, I wasn't too lazy to check to see if I can find what font it is, but after 45 min I gave up. Gee, it is really hard to figure out what the name of the font is, but then again, there are thousands and thousands of fonts (freeware and commercial). I would also advice to contact them personally. Why don't you just send them a short E-mail. You will be amazed to see how helpful people can be [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

the font may have not been a font at all but either hand lettered or an existing font modifed.

Back in the 80s there were still lettering people who did hand lettering from scratch. Most of the display text used in package designing was done by hand.

I remember to this day a statement made by Doyald Young, who taught lettering at Art Center back in the 60s that although phototype (the forerunner to postscript fonts) that phototype will never replace hand lettering.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

On what the rest of this font would look like.

I might create the font if you think it's worth it.

Christine
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ChimneyFont.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	2869  
    Christine

Software: XDPX9, WD9,WD10,XDPX10,WD11,XDPX11,XDP365

you've created a very consistent and attractive font-drawing there, which sure looks a lot like the one used by Chimney Rock.

There is just one part of your effort that seems to me as though it could be improved. The capital "L" would, I think, look better if it resembled the capital "E", but with the upper two horizontal members removed.

With or without this change, you've done a really good job on your drawing, which I hope you do decide to convert into a font.

Glen.
    There are two kinds of people in the world: those who think there are two kinds of people in the world, and those who don’t.

Looking at it again - it would look better done that way.

Christine
    Christine

Software: XDPX9, WD9,WD10,XDPX10,WD11,XDPX11,XDP365

just came to my sometimes rather slow-moving mind. The tail on the lower case "b" seems as though it would cause the "b" to be set a disproportionate distance away from the letter preceding it in a typed word. I don't know if this can be solved without removing the tail from the "b".

G.
    There are two kinds of people in the world: those who think there are two kinds of people in the world, and those who don’t.