The office that I work in just got in some new systems that I helped research. I can tell you about them without bragging because I will never get to use them... I ended up accepting a job offer with a local University as webmaster and will be gone the day the new machines are set up. So I'm just telling you this so you can understand what a really cool system would look like...grin...

The computers are 2.0Ghz machines with 512mb ram. They have been modified with Appian Multi-monitor cards that support up to 4 additional monitors (that's a total of 5 when you consider the video card already installed). Of course they don't have 5 monitors installed though - only 3...

The three monitors are NEC 18.1 flat panel LCD's. They are arranged on the desktop in a slight arch giving the user about 3.5ft of horizontal desktop. You can run three different programs at the same time and have them all in view. We plan to have flash on one, Xara on one, and e-mail/Word documents on the other. The job here is to take schematics along with text instruction and turn them into interactive instructional aids. The systems also have 12x12 Wacom tablets AND Dvd burners.

Sure wish I could take mine with me...

On a side note. I discovered something exciting yesterday. Several new laptops running Windows XP have an undocumented feature called "Dualview" - search for it at google or microsoft. It allows you to attach a second monitor to the external monitor port and run a multi-monitor setup so you can have two programs visible at once. I am now thinking about getting a 17/18" LCD for my laptop since it works on mine (Sony Vaio FXA-49) running XP home edition.

Later,
Robert

p.s. sorry for such a long post, hope you find it interesting...
p.p.s. no more crt's for me...