Is it possible to create a curved line of text
    with Xara 3D v4 ?

For exemple, I have a soccer ball and I would
    like the text to surround it instead of being
    written over the ball.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards.

Simple,
    It is possible to do this. In fact there is 2 methods but I will explain the easiest. Draw the football in XaraX using the circle tool, clone the circle and increase the size. Select text tool and as you move the caret (the text bar) over the outer circle it changes, which allows you type the text on the circle.
    Once complete "select" and "convert to editable shapes", ungroup and select and delete the outer circle.
    Save as a .xar file & import into Xara3D. If you give the ball and text colour in XaraX you can export this as a bitmap and import it as "text texture".
    You can only spin the ball around "z" axis as its a cylinder not a sphere.
    The font I used wasn't a very good example.
    Hope this helps
    Egg
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

...and then there was this! OK, I cheated, I didn't draw the ball but you get the point [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

... and then there was another one! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    Last edited by Big Frank; 16 April 2009 at 12:22 PM.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Hello. I'm having a heck of a time trying to accomplish the curved text effect discussed here. I'm following along with Egg Brammhill's post and apparently not doing something I should be. Here's what I'm doing:

1) In XaraX (v1.0aa)I first create a circle using the Ellipse tool (or should I be using the Quick Shape Tool and choosing a circle?).

2) I then clone the circle (Edit > Clone Ellipse) and increase its size (I'm increasing the size of the circle on top of the original circle, which I'm presumming is the cloned iteration).

3) I click the Text Tool. Egg's instructions then say, "as you move the the caret (the text bar) over the outer circle it changes, which allows you to type text on the circle." I'm afraid I'm not seeing anything that changes. The text bar, or circle, nothing changes. When I place the text bar inside this outer circle and type text, it types straight across horizontally like basic text.

4) So I type some text inside the enlarged circle near the top (such as "Hello World") and then I click the Selector tool. Then from the menu, Arrange > Convert to Editable Shapes. Then Arrange > Ungroup. And then I select the outer circle and delete it.

5) Indeed the circle deletes but my text is now at the top of the original circle and it's still horizontal across, not curved with the circle.

I'm presumming that the text should be curved before I then save it as a .xar and import to my Xara3D, yes?

Help would be most appreciated. This is a wonderful effect and I've been trying this over and over but just can't seem to get it.

Thanks.
    Bob

Hi Bob,

you need to do just one more step and you should be fine:

Select your circle and choose Arrange - Convert to Editable Shapes.

Then, the rest should work like Sean said.

I guess that is also what he meant, because I really see no use in cloning the circle ??

Wolfgang

Bob
    Wolfgangs correct in his explanation, I missed out the "arrange / convert to edibale shapes" step. If you do this you will see your caret change as you cross over the circle.

The Cloned circle was purely that the first circle would be your football, the cloned circle enlarged just ensured the two were centred.

Hope this helps
    Egg
    Egg