This is indeed a interesting thread. Thanks for getting it going and continuing to support it with your insightful remarks.

I sense from your comments the idea that the "masses" using these "realistic landscape generation programs" might be failing to seperate their creations from reality. Unfortunately, there are no computer graphics programs that have mass appeal. The analogy to painting is a good one. Painters, like computer graphic artists, are certainly in the minority - very few people actually create the realistic landscapes that prompted this thread. I rather doubt any of them confuse what they are doing with reality. Sure some of them must feel like they are "God" as they create but I doubt a single such person thinks they are God. As has been stated, it is likely the predominate motivator is recreation. Creative processes are at play when you use Vue d'esprit, terragen, mojoworld, bryce, etc. To me that abundance of creative activity needs to be celebrated rather than cause concern.

The "masses", unfortunately, tend to seek their recreation in passive activities that involve little creative thought. I'm thinking of television watching. It has been said that the popularity of mass-media television is the non-demanding escapism it provides. It provides a highly accessible escape to other "realities". Watching it our imaginations can be transported to other places, times, universes, etc. Whilst imagination is sparked, creative thought processes are put on hold: So much so that many people don't know the thrill of being creative. I believe creativity is intrensic to all people but that it must be exercised and honed. Without nurturing and exercising - creativity withers. In our culture the wonderful creativity of childhood thinking, more and more, gives way to relatively dull adult thought processes. That scares me.

It would excite me if there really was a mass-market computer program that encouraged creativity. Someone needs to create such a 'killer application' that can rekindle creativity in the "masses".

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>