that has posted to this thread has made very valid points. I respect each and everyone of you.

Although my painting was what started the entire thread, in discussion, when I posted it I was not trying to make a nationalistic statement. It was just that I really liked the tutorial Gary did and the resulting image. Perhaps I titled the thread wrongly, and for that I apologize to everyone.

I, for one, really love this site because of it's global flavor, not in spite of it. I truly hope we continue to gain more and more members from all parts of the world. Some of the most beautiful images I've seen here have come from wonderful artist's not residing in the U.S. Does that say something?

Unfortunately, American's in general, sometimes exhibit an arrogance that truly embarrasses me. Ross point's out a perfect example of this in what the American Woman's Hockey team did in the Olypics. Ross, I watched almost every minute of the televised Olympics and I must have missed that one little piece. I was unaware of this particular event until now. To me, it is an outrage that the team did this. I, as an American am horribly embarrassed by this act and I can't believe the coaches allowed it to happen in games that are meant to bring all nations together in peace and harmony. I'm sure it really wasn't meant as any disrespect on my countryman's part, it's just that, in this country we really, for some reason, like to taunt our opponents, especially in sporting events. Canada is a great and true friend of the American people and I apologize to you and all of your countryman for the behavior of the team representing the U.S. Your country really desreves a public apology from the team, coaches and everyone involved.

I have to say though, that something that was revealed after the Canadian Men's Hockey team won the gold, was that they had buried, at center ice a Canadian 2 dollar coin before the Olympics began and it was there throughout the series, I also believe this should not have been done. I think it just points out that we all need to learn to respect all people regardless of any political beliefs or what country they happen to come from.

I am a patriotic American, but I try not to push it too much on others. As for this "Fontman" character, he truly insulted me with his, how many of you have fought for our great country. As a veteran of the Viet Nam war, he stepped way over the line with me. I will not get into the whole political aspects of Nam, this just isn't the place. But, he was way out of line. As a military person, he disrespected me, and 57 thousand plus, of my brother's whose names now reside on a black marble wall in Washington, D.C.

It is also very easy for him to wave the flag from his safe and warm home here in the states, if he's so patriotic why doesn't he volunteer for the next flight to Afghanistan? Why, because they don't want him either!

I hope we can put this whole political thing to rest. I apologize to everyone here if anything I have said, either now or on any other post, was too nationalistic. It was never meant that way.

The manner in which people from all parts of the world conduct themselves as members here, should be an example to the rest of the world. It would be a much better world to live in for all of us.

Thanks to everyone for listening to my ramblings. You are all, a great bunch of folks.

Jack