Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: cropping images

lo all ,
    need your help here after many hours of frustration, I am trying to crop an image so that there is no background, but no matter what I do I always end up with a white box around the image ( the default background colour of this particular image )all I need is the object itself with either no background or if the box is still there then a transparent background. Have messed about with lasso tools etc to no end. Btw am trying to insert this into a word document.
    A fairly detailed description of each step to take would be helpful as I am a chimpanzee when it comes to these types of things.

Best regards

jimbo[img]null[/img]
    IP

lo all ,
    need your help here after many hours of frustration, I am trying to crop an image so that there is no background, but no matter what I do I always end up with a white box around the image ( the default background colour of this particular image )all I need is the object itself with either no background or if the box is still there then a transparent background. Have messed about with lasso tools etc to no end. Btw am trying to insert this into a word document.
    A fairly detailed description of each step to take would be helpful as I am a chimpanzee when it comes to these types of things.

Best regards

jimbo[img]null[/img]
    IP

It's hard to know exactly what you're doing, but it sounds like you've made a selection of an object within the image and you want to save it with a transparent background. Once you make your selection, right click and Convert to Object. Then do F4 to open the Image Optimizer. Save the object as a transparent GIF so it is *not* merged with the base image. That works for building web pages. Whether this will show up as a transparent background image in Word, however, is something you'll have to try for yourself.

Stephanie's PhotoImpact Tutorials
    PhotoImpact 8 and 7 Classes
    IP

Thanks Stephanie, your reply was right on the money, no more banging my head on the wall, once again many thanks.
    jimbo
    IP