Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hello, hello everyone. I'm out of the lurking closet finally. After a couple months of not joining in, I think this will be more fun. I just had to say Hi to Gary on the xaraxone after his call to the silent majority. And it didn't hurt one bit, so I thought I'd give forums a try.

I'm attempting to upload an image to this my first post. All critiques welcome. What could I do for my little furry friend to make him more life-like? What more of a background/atmosphere would you recommend?

Thanks for being here
    Johnny
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Marching_Mouse.jpg 
Views:	358 
Size:	20.5 KB 
ID:	1499  

Hello, hello everyone. I'm out of the lurking closet finally. After a couple months of not joining in, I think this will be more fun. I just had to say Hi to Gary on the xaraxone after his call to the silent majority. And it didn't hurt one bit, so I thought I'd give forums a try.

I'm attempting to upload an image to this my first post. All critiques welcome. What could I do for my little furry friend to make him more life-like? What more of a background/atmosphere would you recommend?

Thanks for being here
    Johnny

Hello ritr
    Welcome to the forum. That is a great little mouse or chipmunk or ? I am not sure. My first impression was a mouse. But it could be a squirrel?
    You might add a tail and work on the fur. Maybe some texture for the fur. Maybe add some whiskers ? It looks great so far!
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire

I am glad to see that you and your mouse character have stepped out from behind the lurker shadows and into the conference :-)

Welcome.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

Hello and Welcome to Neowin Foruns ritr.
    I don´t know why but it seems to me that the mouse it´s inside a "box" and not over a plan (the yellow part) maybe because of the surrounding shape and the diferent yellow casts used.The mouse have a toy appearence, at least for me (i like it a lot).
    So here is an ideia:
    what do you think about define it a little better i mean: If you wantyou can put your mouse "inside the box".Add a projected shadow and tune up the mouse´s shadows so it can reflect better the directtion of light and work a bit the shadows projected by the "box" itself.You can add a wood look to the box too.

As i said just an ideia.
    (sorry my english)
    Great work!
    Take care
    Miguel B.

But his right ankle is askew. It seems he is in the process of spraining it.

http://talkgraphics.infopop.net/1/Op...&ul=1101906325 [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Eye Site Web Design
    Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll

Hi Bruce, Gary, Miguel, and Dale, and thanks for the welcome.
    Bruce, you are right, I did forget his tail. And I used the "New Hairy" brush tool for fur and texture on the face and ear, but it doesn't show very well. Perhaps I could increase the bristle size and color.
    Miguel, great suggestions about shadowing. I like images with a sense of depth. The amberish background was just an quick attempt to provide warmth and maybe a sense of old-fashioned-ness.
    Dale, his foot does look funny doesn't it. I'm not sure if his problem is pronation or suponation, but a bit of modern orthopedic illustration should get him back on his (paw?) in no time :-)

Thanks so much for the comments

Johnny

I can see your cute little soldier mouse walking down a path in the forest onward to fight for his "cheese please" cause!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Wanted some ideas about what and where to place him, how about something like that!!

Richard [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

---Wolff On The Prowl---
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Hi Johnny,

Welcome to the forum. Nice little fellow you have there. Maybe you could have him marching guard around a toy box. I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Soquili
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Thanks for the welcomes Richard and Soquili.

When I say Cheese-Please, it makes me smile. Must be all those poloroids taken of us kids in our litle cowboy outfits, uh, decades ago.

Great suggustions for fighting and guarding. Now I've got so many good ideas, I may just have to ask the rodent what he wants to do [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Viva La Limburger
    Johnny