Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

how do you convert a pdf to other formats? I have some graphics in a pdf, and I need to edit them. How do I go about this?

Thanks

how do you convert a pdf to other formats? I have some graphics in a pdf, and I need to edit them. How do I go about this?

Thanks

I dont think you can cut the graphics out a pdf doc. When you export a doc to a pdf- I dont believe the contents of the pdf is editable- only the original file used to convert/export to pdf.

I've tried to but if you look on the pdf tools- you probably wont find a cut and paist option- at least this is with Adobe Acrobat.

Thanks to you many much,

Byronious
    Thanks to you many much,

Byronious

... copied from a pdf. Click the Graphics Select Tool on the toolbar.

Soquili
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	acrobat.gif 
Views:	316 
Size:	7.3 KB 
ID:	1900  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I have used Canvas to read the PDF file. The files were created with the Distiller driver, and were vector intially. I have tried using Acrobat to convert the files to Postscript, but destroyed my system before I was successful in reading the file. There was something non compatible in the method I was trying. You could try Corel Draw.
    You can do a graphic capture from Acrobat(or Reader), however, this results in a bitmap only. It is best to do a zoom capture to improve the resolution in this case. Basically, draw a capture area, and then zoom to several hunderd percent. You do not need to see the capture area. Then copy and paste into another aplication. Rich

... with Adobe Acrobat (not Reader)

At least 4 ways:

1. Save your PDF (in Acrobat)as EPS file. All vector graphics will remain as vector, bitmaps as bitmaps. Choose Save As options PostScript Level 1, ASCII, Do not manage colors. Then you can open EPS in most vector packages...

2. Open PDF in Adobe Illustrator.

3. Save PDF as EPS and open it in CorelDraw.

4. Open PDF in CorelDraw (in 9.0 version and higher).

5. Get the plugins for Acrobat and your will be able to edit text and graphics directly in PDF.

I prefer Illustrator - all bitmaps you can extract with original quality and sizes (just cancel a Clipping Mask). All texts are editable, and vector fraphics still vector :-)

Also all used colors in PDF (Pantones also) the same in Illustrator.

Is this helps? :-)

===============
    alexander

email

ALBO Design
    Lead designer,
    MichelMour LLC

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

Sidewaysup,

search Google for 'ghostscript' and download the latest version (should be 8.xx now). It's freeware under the GNU licencing scheme. Check their page for the GSViewer tool, made by an Australian company. DL this as well.

Now open your pdf file and convert it by clicking convert or edit -> to *.ai format. You should read the help file for this topic, there are several free plug-ins for vector and CAD formats available.

This is how I convert pdf files to CAD and vector formats. A great tool, not only for converting files but for printing as well: if you don't have a postscript printer, you can set up a postscript printer on your system, print your document to a postscript file, open it with ghostscript and print the doc with your non-postscript printer. The advantage: you can check the final layout etc before you send the files to your printing company. You can even generate a pdf file with ghostscript.

Ghostscipt, much more than a simple postscript interpreter, is a very powerful tool used for printing, viewing, managing docs in the Linux/Unix world. And it's available for Windows and Mac as well. It's the most powerful publishing tool currently available for all platforms.

However, as I said, reading the help and man pages (manuals) will save you a lot of hassle and time, paper waste etc. Sorry that I can't give you any settings here - I've set it up once and it's still working flawlessly on my Win and Linux machines.

I **know** it will solve your problems!

All the best,

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://www.sacalobra.de

----------//--
    If you don't know how to dream you'll never be a designer.
    ----------//--
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

you can do it using acrobat reader... take a look at the 2. reply. the picture show's the tool: select the graphic element in pdf and save it as .bmp (only bmp is supported)
    alan e.