Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

good cartoon Paul, I like the lines, hatching and textures. cool. You tried animating cartoons in xara yet?

Q.
    http://www.Qdesign.co.nz

Is it Merlin or Dmagician?

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Ass I don't splecheck at al... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Quentin - Yes, I have done some animations... At the moment I am just trying to get the time to make even more practical (=interactive animations with small file sizes) cartoons in Flash.

Here's a quick tutorial how you draw a gnurf character

-Paul

Hmmm, for some reason the background is partially transparent?!? It should be a white background all the way!

[This message was edited by Paul on July 11, 2001 at 00:45.]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	www_sketch.gif 
Views:	428 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	7158  
    Paul the Gnurfmeister!
    Home: http://www.gnurf.net/v3/ | My stuff for sale: http://www.zazzle.com/gnurf* | Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/pasoderholm

After spending 3 days trying to create an interface and rollover buttons and a simple 4-page web site in DRAW 10 for the CorelWorld Confernece, I threw in the towel. I have never been so frustrated with an application in my life (and I have been pretty frustrated with DRAW over the years). What finally got to me was the sheer inconsistency of it all. I would create a button and the three button states, do a simple copy and paste of the button to make three more, and after about a dozen crashes, reboots, you name it, finally get things to work.

Then I would carefully recreate everything from scratch using the exact same steps as those that worked, and it would not work.

Life is too short.

I have pulled out of the conference.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Sever So Humble...

Luckily there is other software on the market that isn't THAT frustrating.

And say that last november I doubted between upgrading CD9 and XX. Seems I made the right choice, because if you throw in the towel, I'd probably be throwing in windows. In Ottawa.

If you don't work against time, time often works for you.

Mr. Altman convinced me to not not go to the conference. The good news is I won't have to try to make DRAW do something it should never have tried to do in the first place, web page design.

One (speaking of the product and not myself) should not try to be all things to all people.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Sever So Humble...

Perk up little camper....

The explanation I've heard on the display thing is not in the in the application but the core engines that do certain sections of work in the code. FOr example, the print engine in Draw was horrible until they got someone to rewrite the whole thing so it would behave like Illustrator's. The same goes with the code that blips the info to the screen. I was working with a friend on performing real-time transparency on a User Interface (like Windows 2000 performs on its mouse arrow pointer). In essence, you have to perform quite a bit of calcualtion to determine the colors used, the region that is antialiased, and its location over which it will be displayed. If the image is a 4 bit, 8 bit, etc., then the load on the video card is pushed. If you do it the brute force method, then you can really use some resources. (think of the screen res times the bit depth and that is the load on the video card). You need to come up with an elegant piece of code that does it better (there some out there, I have found them).

I suspect that the nice folks at Xara thought about what they were going to antialias from the beginning (it was originally designed for on-screen graphics anyway) and wrote a piece of code that did it well from the beginning. The fact that they did their coding at the machine language level could have as much to do with the speed as anything, given that it does not have to interact as much with Windows, which as many know, can be a pig.

Anyway, the bells and whistles that Xara has added are heavily reliant on the display engine (or antialiasing engine) which is essentially bulletproof and hence the OH-AH's.

Milt

PS Talking about Foster and Rick ALtman remind of the 95 Conference in Dallas...Back when Xara was version 1 (if that!) and Draw was going to Version 6. How far we have come. However, I am more impressed that you are not going to the conference despite this. -ML

In answer maybe (I use Corel9 started with 3)Corel is a printer oriented program and the default DPI is 300 for images output to printers I believe. The default page when selecting 'New' may correspond to the best resolution to go to the printer for printing in desktop printer. Which would give you good print resolution on desktop printer, am I close to the right track of thought. I am just talking my own idea I've done mostly work as hobby for relaxation.
    I do have XaraX and am still learning and comparing.
    Jim M.
    Intel i7-2600 processor 3.4GH, Windows 10 64Bit, 12GB Memory, Geforce 960 2Gb graphics card