Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Some Fonts don't display correctly any more

www.ronkskitchen.com/air_fryer/index.htm

We just returned to Northern MI from 3 months in FL.

I ass-u-me that Windows 10 likely did a gazillion "not-optional upgrades" during that time.

I rebooted my desktop PC & after Windows spent a couple of hours doing updates, I ran Xara Web Designer Premium version 11.2.2.
    I fixed several bugs in my website ( www.ronkskitchen.com ) & when I uploaded the fixes, 2 known Fonts don't work properly any more.

Verdana:
    I use Verdana Font on nearly every page (1300) in my website.
    Even though the Font displays properly in Xara when previewing web page, when uploaded the Font defaults to a smaller size than I wanted. wherever I changed from Verdana Font to Open Sans Font, the new Font is displayed correctly.

Wingdings3:
    Does not work at all any more. I use a Wingdings3 Triangle as an up arrow in some Texts (Pointing up to my Menu Bars. Again it displays properly when previewing web page, when uploaded, some strange characters are displayed instead of the triangle.

Is any body else out there experiencing this? I hope Windows wil fix their B"bugs" in a future upgrade.

Default Re: Some Fonts don't display correctly any more

I don't know if it's a Windows bug Wodlik but here's the content of your current servers index_htm_files xr_fonts.css file:

@import url(//fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Amatic+SC:700&subset=latin);@import url(//fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Open+Sans:700,700italic&subset=latin);
    @import url(//fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Open+Sans:800,800&subset=latin);
    @import url(//fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Source+Sans+Pro:600&subset=latin);
    @import url(//fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Arimo:700&subset=latin);
    @font-face {font-family: 'Verdana Bold';font-weight:700;font-style:normal;src: url("XaraWDEmbeddedHTMLfont1.eot?") format("embedded-opentype"), url("XaraWDEmbeddedHTMLfont1.ttf") format("truetype"), local('Verdana Bold'), local("Verdana");}
    @font-face {font-family: 'Verdana Regular';font-weight:normal;font-style:normal;src: url("XaraWDEmbeddedHTMLfont2.eot?") format("embedded-opentype"), url("XaraWDEmbeddedHTMLfont2.ttf") format("truetype"), local('Verdana Regular'), local("Verdana");}
    @font-face {font-family: 'Verdana Regular Italic';font-weight:normal;font-style:italic;src: url("XaraWDEmbeddedHTMLfont3.eot?") format("embedded-opentype"), url("XaraWDEmbeddedHTMLfont3.ttf") format("truetype"), local('Verdana Regular Italic'), local("Verdana");}
    @font-face {font-family: 'Wingdings 3 Regular';font-weight:normal;font-style:normal;src: url("XaraWDEmbeddedHTMLfont4.eot?") format("embedded-opentype"), url("XaraWDEmbeddedHTMLfont4.ttf") format("truetype"), local('Wingdings 3 Regular'), local("Wingdings3");}
    Try creating a single page of your site using your verdana and wingdings fonts and export it to your local drive and look in the index_htm_files folders xf_font.css file and see if it matches the online copy.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Have you changed the default display size in your browser? This could be the cause. Make sure you are previewing at 100%.

I know there have been some recent issues with fonts, possible caused by Xara's reconfiguraing to be more consistent with current technology.

Previewing any pages in Xara all display correctly. . . .
    its the actual website on-line that is displaying fonts incorrectly.

www.ronkskitchen.com/air_fryer/index.htm

This newly uploaded index page has 2 different fonts in the same text box. the first half is Open Sans Font which displays correctly (edge-to edge in the box). the second half is Verdana Font which now displays incorrectly ()the text only displays in the lefty 2/3 of the box width).
    In the orange text box just below the top two menu bars illustrates the missing Wingdings3 Font as the first and last characters in the text field.

Thanks
    Ron

Egg Bramhill

I loaded a "simplified index page up to my web site

www.ronkskitchen.com/test/index.htm

There are 2 fonts in the same text box"

The top half is Open Sans which displays properly from edge to edge in the text box

The bottom half is Verdana which displays incorrectly only on the left 2/3 of the text box

In Xara page preview, BOTH fonts display correctly from edge to edge.

the orange page header has 2 Wingding3 characters at each end of the text field (An up pointing triangle). Both characters display properly in Xara web page preview, but when uploaded, the left one displays as a "p" and the right one displays as a "sp".

Thanks Ron

Hi Wodlik, could you attach that pages xar/web file here please. As a side note that page never ceases loading.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thumbs down Re: Some Fonts don't display correctly any more

Quote Originally Posted by Wodlik View Post
    Egg Bramhill
    I loaded a "simplified index page up to my web site
    www.ronkskitchen.com/test/index.htm There are 2 fonts in the same text box"
    The top half is Open Sans which displays properly from edge to edge in the text box
    The bottom half is Verdana which displays incorrectly only on the left 2/3 of the text box
    In Xara page preview, BOTH fonts display correctly from edge to edge.

the orange page header has 2 Wingding3 characters at each end of the text field (An up pointing triangle). Both characters display properly in Xara web page preview, but when uploaded, the left one displays as a "p" and the right one displays as a "sp".
    Thanks Ron
    Ron,
    After a long delay the WingDings resolve themselves. (Both are p, the S is part of your main text.)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2024-05-23 131541.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	134929

Name:	Screenshot 2024-05-23 131517.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	134928
    My first guess was your server was taking the time to promulgate the new font file around. Do read on.

For the other font displays, the top has a mixed font for the last line: "exposed to the hot air, the food cooks to become crispy. "

This too eventually resolves:

Name:	Screenshot 2024-05-23 132159.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	244.1 KB 
ID:	134930

I cloned the page in the browser and it immediately reverted to the incorrect layout so it is not a server issue.
    Your use of Styles and layout are overly complex and it is wholly possibly that the delay in the browser is down to a mixture of conflicts fighting for dominance.

The cleanest resolution is for you to supply the design file of this text page so it can be run independent of your server configuration.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Yes, something similar here too Acorn. The page loads with the lower text as a serif font with reduced width text then after a very long time reverts to a San Serif font the full width.
    Haven't had the wingding text alter though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	180.4 KB 
ID:	134931  
    Egg