yes its funny - i think we can leave gender to the imagination...

boy has a good point - the mane looks to me like the head of an old fashioned garden rake - real giraffes have tuffted manes, you could try shortening the strokes and putting them closer together

if this was a paper print graphic I would suggest giving them a slight blur to soften, but if this is for a Tshirt print that probably won't work

there again you could just leave it out:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	giraffe sans mane.png 
Views:	55 
Size:	488.0 KB 
ID:	132866

regarding composition - the giraffe is offset to the left - the blue speech baloon spreads to the right but that in itself does not provide balance to my eye, the bottom right white space looks empty and neglected

I guess you could pull in the text area, but actually I think that in itself works well - you could add something but it would have to be very lightly done so as not to distract from the giraffe, maybe some sketch lines that indicate ground/savannah

if it were me I would be tempted to introduce a second small character in bottom right looking at the giraffe in a way that could be towards either head or tail, but that would introduce a whole new level of compexity that you maybe don't want/need