Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: TIFF Export

I have been going back and forth with Jonathan at Xara and they seem to have a handle on my particular problem with exporting Tiff files. the last the Jonathan had me do seems to have coprrected the istantanious crashes I was getting. I'm not sure other were haveing this problem, but I thought I would shjare with you what worked for me. Jonathan had me do the following.
    1. Start Xara.
    2. Draw a simple object. (I drew an Elipse)
    3. Select the object and go to File, Export as select gif format. ( gave the file the name "test1")
    4. In the GIF export options go to "Image Map" tab. One or both of the boxes may be checked. Uncheck the boxes. (the file box was checked in mine)
    5. Press "Export".
    6. Quit Xara.
    Exporting of TIFFs now works!
    No, I don't have a clue why.
    Your milage may vary
    John [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I have been going back and forth with Jonathan at Xara and they seem to have a handle on my particular problem with exporting Tiff files. the last the Jonathan had me do seems to have coprrected the istantanious crashes I was getting. I'm not sure other were haveing this problem, but I thought I would shjare with you what worked for me. Jonathan had me do the following.
    1. Start Xara.
    2. Draw a simple object. (I drew an Elipse)
    3. Select the object and go to File, Export as select gif format. ( gave the file the name "test1")
    4. In the GIF export options go to "Image Map" tab. One or both of the boxes may be checked. Uncheck the boxes. (the file box was checked in mine)
    5. Press "Export".
    6. Quit Xara.
    Exporting of TIFFs now works!
    No, I don't have a clue why.
    Your milage may vary
    John [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Up until now I have experienced no difficulty at all with exporting quite large TIFF files (6144x6144 pixels), until last night that is when doing so caused a Xara crash. I resorted to restarting Xara and exporting to PNG with the intention of reformating to TIFF within Paint Shop Pro. I have recently been exporting Image maps, so when I eventually got around to the PNG export, I got an error message to the effect that there were no web addresses defined - so I switched off the image map options and continued with the PNG export quite successfully. After reading your note, I just tried the TIFF export again (this time without the image map settings which had previously and inadvertently been set) and it worked fine. This looks like confirmation to me and has saved me the trouble of searching for incompatible drivers etc. Many thanks.

Brian

The problem with TIFF export was related to the image map export setting. The TIFF exporter was trying to export Image maps when a bitmap was exported, and this is not intended behaviour and so led to an exception.
    John correctly describes above our procedure for a user fix, which basically sets up the bitmap export dialogue to not export image maps.
    The patch which is due shortly will include a fix for this, this will unfortunately mean the release of the patch is delayed until at least next Wednesday 16th.

Mark Goodall
    Xara Ltd