Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Hall

the appearance too!!! I'm glad my feeble brain remembered those "skylight moments" so I could talk with you about it---it's like you zapped it right from out of my mind!!! You're awesome, Steve!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    ---As The Crow Flies!---
    Maya

BTW Steve: Just 3 sec. of film inspiration--Double WOW!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

[This message was edited by Crow Haven on May 29, 2002 at 17:23.]
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

But, with the addition of the seat area, I can see the reflection of the bottom of the back window in the flooring, but (I could be wrong) I think the seat should cast a bit of a shadow infront of itself i.e. right infront of the end seat (on the floor) is too bright.

Hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

Excellent work - as always an inspiration for us to try this sort of topic.

Turan

We'll see what Steve thinks...but I understand what you mean, if it was just a bit of a shadow there at that back seat floor and cast forward on the floor a short distance...I would imagine from the perspective of looking directly down the hall at it it would be a very narrow strip of shadow, although if you were sitting at the seat and looked down at the shadow it might seem wider, does that make sense?...it's a bit harder to figure out whether the side seat would have one because of all the reflected light playing around--that can illuminate areas sometimes like you'd least expect it to...on that side area it's possible no real shadow would be left visible on the floor because of the light reflected up again in all directions from the floor....hmmmm. It's really interesting. I think you are on to a good idea about the back seat shadow, it would move the skylight reflection towards the viewer's position a bit and center it more... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    ---As The Crow Flies!---
    Maya
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

I looked it over and don't believe there should be a shadow in the place described. The way I made the picture is for the sun to be directly overhead. I'll try explaining it by the pic below

The green arrows show the light coming in through the sky light. The distance from the skylight to the back wall is a little shorter of a distance than the end of the seat to the wall. Therefor the light would partially land on the seat and the rest would be on the floor. So if the sun is directly overhead no shadow would be casted. Is this making sense?
    Any questions or flaws in my logic please tell! Thanks for the suggestion though, I had to go and recheck it myself!

Steve Newport
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hallguide.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	4717  
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

yes, that makes sense!---The skylight opening edge is about where the seat is...so from there it ought to drop just directly down and then reflect a bit back up and around...casting some light toward the lower part of the bench. For the other shadow to exist then, it would mean the light coming from the window would have to be stronger than the skylight---and I don't see that happening here. I think you're right, Steve!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Great analysis---makes us keep thinking about lighting---always a good thing!!!
    Great work!!!
    ---As The Crow Flies!---
    Maya [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    -Mark Twain