Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Drop shadows

It seems to be happening more and more, but I will create an image with a drop shadow and I transparent background (GIF) and when I place it on a darker background the shadow is non-transparent and has a white edge around it. I usually set my shadow transparenciy at 50% or 75%. Is there a way to have a bold dense shadow with a soft edge that works as a GIF file on a darker background?

Many thanks,

Dave Cowles
    www.bobtherubberchicken.net

Dave Cowles AKA Organ Donor

www.3DCaricatures.com
    Spartanburg, SC
    Dave Cowles

www.CowlesDesign.com
    Spartanburg, SC

It seems to be happening more and more, but I will create an image with a drop shadow and I transparent background (GIF) and when I place it on a darker background the shadow is non-transparent and has a white edge around it. I usually set my shadow transparenciy at 50% or 75%. Is there a way to have a bold dense shadow with a soft edge that works as a GIF file on a darker background?

Many thanks,

Dave Cowles
    www.bobtherubberchicken.net

www.3DCaricatures.com
    Spartanburg, SC
    Dave Cowles

www.CowlesDesign.com
    Spartanburg, SC

Dave,

You need to have your image on a background the same colour as your web page when you export this will eliminate the fringing.

As for the shadow I don't think GIF files can use semi transparent.

Christine
    Christine

Software: XDPX9, WD9,WD10,XDPX10,WD11,XDPX11,XDP365

David

Xara antialiases (smooths) you image and blends the edges to the background color upon which the image was created (usually the white of the page). Hence when you place this image over a darker background the blended white pixels stand out like a hog on a sofa.

The trick is to create your image over a sililar colored background to that which you intend it to be seen. Then Xara will anti-alias your image and shadow to this color and the image will look terrific over its background.

There are two ways to do this. The first is to place a background-colored rectangle behind your objects but do not select it. The second is to drag a similar color to your background onto the screen by holding down the Ctrl key when you drag and drop the color onto the screen.

This help?

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Click to make The Xara Xone #1

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

Many thanks. You guys rock! http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/cool.gif

www.3DCaricatures.com
    Spartanburg, SC
    Dave Cowles

www.CowlesDesign.com
    Spartanburg, SC