Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
I could say I designed my own desktop computer, it would be a valid thing to say; but I know it would be more accurate to say that I assembled it - I chose the mainboard, the processor, the memory, the graphics card, the sound card, etc... but because I did not build these, I did not design a computer in the real sense.. it is constrained by the design parameters that were chosen by the manufacturers of those components

this is the way I see design in the sense of XDA is going... the artist in me might say 'painting by numbers' but that is likely unfair

my computer is tailored by me for the jobs I need to do, and similarly you can design a very effective print document or website using templates and smart shapes and widgets etc, designed and put together by others.... but none of this is seat of the pants design like when I built audio circuits from scratch using op amps and transisitors [and when in short pants, valves[tubes]]

what I think cliff likes is the ability to do seat of the pants design in xara very quickly - it is why I like programs that enable me to freehand draw in the same way as I would on paper which is my seat of the pants design methodology most of the time
With you on this. What's not to like build an amp with an EF86 and pretending the hum had actually decreased?

Acorn