Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Threaded View

Okay, I'm guilty of dissing Photo-Impact, but Gidgit, I've used Photo-Impact, as well as the latest version of Gimp. I make it a point to download demos to see where Photoshop might be ahead or behind, and I further confess that I started image editing with Aldus PhotoStyler, and then Photoshop when it became available in Windows flavor, so the old truth holds with me, too: you tend to stick with the app you started with (mostly to save a new learning curve).

Gimp struck me a truly useful app, one that requires a shorter learning curve than other image editors. To me, and this is just my oipinion and I've written several chapters in other people's books in the past, Photo-Paint for example, has a difficult interface to learn; it does not make the layout "sense" oif other apps.

Here's an example of ponying up concerning my statement about Gimp. Below are two pictures I melded to stop my nephew from ruining the first picture. I did this in Gimp, I have not read the documentation,m and it took about 15 minutes, 5 of them poking around for features.

Why did I just know that you'd contribute to this thread, Klaus?

Your comments about the look of an interface are valid to a certain extent, but hey, Maya, and particluarly SoftImage are butt-ugly, and somehow "true artists" seem to plod along begrudgingly and win academy awards using them.

Glad to see you back after four months.

My Best,

Gare
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	retouching_in_gimp.jpg 
Views:	455 
Size:	74.1 KB 
ID:	10340  
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Free education! The Writings Web site
    and the updated GaryWorld Gallery is pretty okay, too.