I went to a commercial art school in Salina, KS and got my first job at a printing plant as a designer in Topeka KS. How I got that was I went into a employment agency and from there got an interview and was hired. I didn't think I was cut out for that though, a friend of mine was working at an Architectural Delineation firm in KC, , so I had an interview with them and my portfolio landed me the job, which it turned out suited me to a T. Since then I worked at many Delineation studios, KC, Dallas TX where I became second in command, Tulsa OK where I ran an branch office for the company In Dallas, then freelanced for awhile, (but I had more money going out than coming in), then a head hunter at Hospital Building and Equipment started calling me so I checked that out and worked for HBE for several years, I was sort of my own department, worked closely with the Architects and Interior Designers, had one or two people working for me for me who I taught how to draw the perspectives so I could concentrate on painting. That is why I call myself a painter and not an artist because in my mind that is what I was and am. I had to retire because of some nasty health issues. After that I took oil painting lessons to fulfill a dream. Now I am getting old, my eyes are failing and I came up with yet another problem which I am still grappling with. I know I probably didn't answer your question but I wish you lots of luck. Whatever route you take the journey is worth it. Some of the other guys here are designers some worked for ad agencies so they could answer your question much better than I. In fact some probably already have in the time it has taken me to write this ditty.