Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

I get an occasional crash under Win98SE , on a WinNT system the beta runs fine so far, crash happens most often when using the contour tool. Near indentical PC's , 98SE system has 256Mb Mb , NT system 128Mb, PII-350 , Matrox G400 32Mb. See little difference in speed, exporting works fine too.
    http://www.thewizzs.com/images/xarax.gif

Has anyone seen this one yet?

I installed the beta on October 1 without a hitch, then went exploring. Perhaps half an hour in, I created a bitmap copy of a shape I'd contoured and opened the Bitmap Effects options. Clicked on the first effect and got the following message (slightly paraphrased):

"Evaluation copy has expired.
    Please call SnowBound @ 617-630-9495."

In the US, 617 is an area code assigned to Massachusetts. Is it also used in the UK?

The message was persistent, but after a number of clicks on Okay, it went away. I tried to save my file, but got an error message that the disk was full (no save would make sense if expire was true).

Reopened X, started playing and got the SnowBound message again. This time, the only way I could stop it was Ctl Alt Del. After several rounds of similar behavior, I gave up.

Someone else posted an expire message and thought it might be related to his using an Athlon. FWIW, I was running it on an Athlon 500 Classic, with 128mb RAM and plenty of disk space.

Allison

Allison,

I also received the "Evaluation copy has expired.
    Please call SnowBound @ 617-630-9495." dialog box when I tried out the bitmap effects.

This was yesterday, and what little memory I have doesn't include any system hangs or crashes.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

I got the same message when using the bitmap tools. I think Xara uses somekind of library that has expired. Hope they pay for the final release.

Regards,
    Frits Hogewoning
    The Netherlands
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Looks like Snowbound provided the bitmap viewers or something - http://www.snowbnd.com/

I got the same thing when I tried to install plugins and try to apply it.
    So far xara has crashed five times today.
    In the end when I tried to
    load plugins from disk I get invalid program error 608.1611AC711undefined

I ,as many others, was inspired by Garys Stained glass tutorial. All was going along swimmingly till I got to appling the Bevel to the outline. On clicking on the Flat menu choice I get the message in the lower left corner saying "Processing....Please wait".
    Well it hangs there. If I ctrl+alt-del it states that XaraX is not responding. One thing to note my outline is more complicated than the one in the tutorial.
    I went to far as to copy the outline to a new file, with nothing else in it and get the same result.

I'll keep plugging away at it. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

P2-400, 256m ram TNT2 Ultra 32meg card. Win98se Gigs of free drives space.

Mark

[This message was edited by Mark Hanson on October 02, 2000 at 04:21 PM.]

I was a little disappointed that the color picker doesn't work on bitmaps. I use a lot of pattern fills and sometimes you want to match a color. I guess I can live with it.

I haven't made any large images yet(max 135kb) It is hard to get use to waiting a second or two between every change you make.

Did have lots of fun with the bevel tool today then adding a "glow" shadow which I turned to rainbow color.

A couple of bugs I found while working in Xara X this afternoon. First of all I had some screen refresh problems. These are probably well-noted and they'll surely be taken care of. And besides, they aren't major. Just the occasional fragment of a point handle, etc. However, another one I found was not so minor. I attached a picture in X this afternoon while fiddling with some of the new features. They're great! Well, you can see the text with the inward contour and the swish-mark made using blend on a path. I wanted to mold them to make it appear to be on the surface of the ball. Apparently contours cannot be molded, to my dismay. So, I converted the object to bitmap, wishing to mold that. Well, I was unpleasantly surprised. The swish-mark molded just fine, but the bitmap didn't. Depending on the shape, the mold would either cut off part of the bitmap or repeat part of it. It didn't mold at all. This I consider a fairly serious bug, and I really hope the Xara folks get it resolved quickly. I can't wait to buy a graphics tablet and really get to using this once the full version is released!
    -Lee
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	experiment.jpg 
Views:	601 
Size:	13.4 KB 
ID:	13698  

You can 'colour drop' samples from Bitmaps.
    Open the colour editor, make sure bitmap is deselected, drag colour dropper over bitmap and select the shade you want. Click on the yellow tag icon in colour editor and give it a name and it will save it into the colour profile bar.