Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This post is to report a problem i've encountered using XaraX - v1a.

Situation:

I created a fairly simple interface, and applied bevels & gradients of various types to different sections of the images main shapes. I then also filled one beveled edge with a firey texture, and the inner section of this same shape with another texture.

Below are 2 images:

First image is a screen shot of the interface taken right from XaraX. Then, copied to the clipboard and pasted back into the program. Then, saved out from there as a Jpg @ 80%.

That is how the image is supposed to look!

Second image is the actual interface created within XaraX and exported using the same settings - Jpg @ 80%.

That is NOT how the image is supposed to look!

Can someone puleeeez tell me what the heck is going on with THAT!? Hmmm?!

NOTE: When saving out the interface without any texture fills, it appears to look just fine. It's only when using texture fills of images/photos that i'm seeing this kind of mass chaotic distortion of the "entire" image.

Thanks for reading this. Hope someone knows why the heck this is happening. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Mark...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bevel-test.jpg 
Views:	515 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	13690  

This post is to report a problem i've encountered using XaraX - v1a.

Situation:

I created a fairly simple interface, and applied bevels & gradients of various types to different sections of the images main shapes. I then also filled one beveled edge with a firey texture, and the inner section of this same shape with another texture.

Below are 2 images:

First image is a screen shot of the interface taken right from XaraX. Then, copied to the clipboard and pasted back into the program. Then, saved out from there as a Jpg @ 80%.

That is how the image is supposed to look!

Second image is the actual interface created within XaraX and exported using the same settings - Jpg @ 80%.

That is NOT how the image is supposed to look!

Can someone puleeeez tell me what the heck is going on with THAT!? Hmmm?!

NOTE: When saving out the interface without any texture fills, it appears to look just fine. It's only when using texture fills of images/photos that i'm seeing this kind of mass chaotic distortion of the "entire" image.

Thanks for reading this. Hope someone knows why the heck this is happening. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Mark...

Sorry folks, i forgot to mention some important info that should also be noted in regards to my above post.

As well as saving out that bottom interface using Jpg, i also tried every other format, with no change in the way it got rendered (messed up).

I also tried grouping all of the elements first, then saving, but that had no effect.
    And as well, i tried "converting to editable shapes" prior to saving. Again, no luck, didn't help.

I notice this thread isn't getting any attention yet... i hope this isn't because no one has any idea what's happening here, but rather that it's been shoved down the list, and was not seen.

Mark...

The more I see you experienced people getting stuck (this, the gap with slicing, no possibility to set a default font or fill color, the crash when it becomes too complicated-see the Void topic-etc, etc), the more I get convinced that Xara wasn't ready for public release, and is, in fact still premature. On one hand there are fascinating possibilities and promises, but on the other hand
    there are still important things to fix. I couldn't agree more with your reply on future wishes.
    And, I'm afraid that, despite the things one can do with it, I wouldn't have bought Xara if I had known this Forum and read the topics on it.

Have you tried v1.0aa, it seems it solved problems in bevel rendering.
    If you don't want to download the new version, I can test a simple file for you if you send it to me.

ciao

Luciano

Hi guys,

Thanks for reading the post. I'm glad it finally got some attention, considering how important i feel this feature is in the program.

I've been reading about other people's problems with v1aa Luciano - like Gif transparency being messed up. Right now, i'm happy to see/say that v1a is finally working ok; with the exception of this texturing problem i've just discovered. So i'm going to stick to this version for a while longer.

The Xara source file is 616kb. Is that too large a file for me to send you via email Luciano? It's too large to post in this Forum (300kb is max).
    Thanks for offering to help me test this too. I appreciate it muchly.
    I'm not sure if the original texture fills i used will be contained within the source file, but you can use any texture as a fill for the same purpose i did. Considering the file size it is, which is way more than a usual Xara file, i'm thinking the textures i used ARE embedded within the file.

As a separate note here to Erik...
    Erik, i'm not slagging Xara in general bud, just this newest version (XaraX). [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    I would highly recommend you try to obtain a copy of Xara 2. It's an excellent illustration program that is a lean mean graphics machine. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

When Xara Ltd has solved the current issues with XaraX, then i'd suggest upgrading to that. But i still use Xara 2 a lot. So it's usefulness hasn't diminished for me just because XaraX has been released.

I await with baited breath!

Mark...

[This message was edited by theKeeper on January 17, 2001 at 01:41 AM.]

You can send even a 600k e-mail, there is no problem since the server is mine, but if you wish you can send just a part (e.g. the round one) and remove the unused bitmap in the bitmap gallery.
    All bitmaps are embedded even the ones which are not actually used in the image you are viewing, so sometimes you find that some of them can be deleted to reduce file size without affecting your drawing.

Luciano

[This message was edited by Luciano on January 17, 2001 at 02:18 AM.]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cornice.jpg 
Views:	415 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	2653  

TheKeeper

The problems described above by theKeeper have all been resolved in Xara X v1.0aa.
    The problem with transparency in GIFs has a fully functional workaround. I really think you would be much better off with v1.0aa.

Erik

I assume that the problem with a gap in slicing to which you refer is caused when you slice a shape with a path or another shape, and you have a small anti-aliasing line between the new shapes.
    This is a problem, but it is one that Xara shares with Adobe Illustrator9, and CorelDraw 10 (worse!) , and I suspect any other decent drawing package. If you switch off anti-aliasing you will see the problem disappear. There are ways of reducing the problem if you can put a suitable coloured background behind the objects.
    I will have a look at the other "void" issue you mention.

I would obviously prefer it if comments were made upon current versions, so that issues that have been resolved don't need to be revisited.

Mark Goodall
    Xara Ltd

Ok Mark, if you say that XaraX v1aa is working as it's supposed to (in my case anyway), then i guess i'll download and see how she runs. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Thanks again Luciano for your offer to help. As i can see by your example, v1aa doesn't appear to have this problem. And that's nice to see!

Thanks for reading this Post Mark, i appreciate it muchly.

CU all soon! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Mark...

Mark theKeeper: I tried in vain to get Xara 2 because we were already in the intermediate period...

Mark "Xara": apologies. I wrote it too crude. Having had real bad experiences with other programmes I sometimes forget all the positive, good working and fascinating possibilities, and crash on everything that might be a bug.

But... it must be said that there was, or still is a rather heavy campaign going on against Fireworks, which I don't know or use. No other programme can do, at this moment, what Xara can, I fully agree. But, as I bought it for the web, I'm not interested if Illustrator and Draw10 can't do it either: I did not buy these programmes, but Xara.

I can simply use guide-lines, snap selections to them and make tables in my pages, eventually even hand-coded, and use Xara for the possibilities it offers me.

And, promised: I won't complain anymore until I have version 1.Oaa, on CD, or downloaded when there is an acceptable speed.