Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Numbering pages

Default Numbering pages

It would be great if we could create page numbers which change for each page in multi page documents. I am making a book which I will export in pdf and upload to amazon as a text book, but I've just realised I can't put page numbers in. I tried adding a text box and then making it a repeating object, but then it repeats the same number on every page.

Does anyone have any ideas or must I create a text box in the same position on each page with a different number???

Please let there be an easier way.

Default Re: Numbering pages

Insert > Page Number.

I am currently working on a small book and in the past two years produced two 200+ page books in Designer Pro, self published with CreateSpace.

But here is the bad news. You cannot start numbering where you want, because if you add a page number on page 14, it starts numbering at page 14!

There is a way that I cannot remember to add a minus number on the first page but I just tried this and it does not work.

What I did for both books before was repeat the same numbers on all pages, then turn off repeating, then manually altered the numbers for each page. A bit of a PITA but it works.

But I have been asking for a long time for more book publishing functionality including master pages. Some day.

OK. I did some experimenting and here's how you do it.

Go to the first page in the book and add a text area where you want the page number to appear.

If the actual 1st page starts on page 7 of the pages, then use the up down arrows to arrive at -7 (or whatever your first page is).

Now the numbers will descend -7, -6, -5 etc. until you reach page 7 which is now numbered 1 and will automatically increase.

You will need to delete the minus number and select Delete from Just This Page.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	page numbers.png 
Views:	118 
Size:	8.7 KB 
ID:	118066  

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrg!!! You're using Page & Layout Designer and scratching your head wondering what in the world he's yammering on about.

This feature is only available in Designer Pro X. Never mind. Back to Repeat on all Pages and Step repeating and hand editing.

PagePlus X9, the latest but not to be updated again unless a change in Windows that makes it not work, is only $20 (last time I looked). I mean, come on. Even XDP, the be all & end all of Xara applications, doesn't hold a candle to PP for any document of length.

I shake my head every time I read one of these threads. Depending on what one buys from a Starbucks-type of establishmemt, that's about 4 cups of coffee. Maybe 5.

Mike

The only thing that keeps me from jumping ship is I know Designer well enough to work around issues and problems and I am much more comfortable working with a known quantity. I tried Page Plus when you recommended it a few years back and it is much better, but I did not want to expend the time necessary to become as proficient as I am with Designer Pro X.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrg!!! You're using Page & Layout Designer and scratching your head wondering what in the world he's yammering on about.

This feature is only available in Designer Pro X. Never mind. Back to Repeat on all Pages and Step repeating and hand editing.
    Haha, thank you for your explanation. I might have to upgrade at some stage, but I would probably still have to hand edit as I'm now putting the even numbers on one side of the page and the odd numbers on the other side of the page. Although there is bound to be a way to do that.

People must think I'm soooooo boring. But just a perfectionist. It's great that this community is indulging me. Thank you for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    PagePlus X9, the latest but not to be updated again unless a change in Windows that makes it not work, is only $20 (last time I looked). I mean, come on. Even XDP, the be all & end all of Xara applications, doesn't hold a candle to PP for any document of length.

I shake my head every time I read one of these threads. Depending on what one buys from a Starbucks-type of establishmemt, that's about 4 cups of coffee. Maybe 5.

Mike
    Never heard of it. Is it a xara product???

I know Gary. I was being a bit cranky.

I don't consider it jumping ship. It is using various applications for their strengths. I get the not wanting to learn something new--kinda the academic version of better the devil you know sort of thing. I'll wager that people at Xara use applications like Microsoft Word, Excel, etc. And I know they don't use XDP for their web site.

Maybe I am both lucky and cursed. The lucky part is the variety of software I get to use, sometimes multiple times a day (try going in and out of ID & QXP 10 times a day to work/update stuff). And vector drawing applications? Well, XDP is my favorite despite its warts and wrinkles. But there are two others I use many times a week and a few I need to use once in a while. Image editors. Word processors. Font editors (4 of the dumb things). Programming and XML editors and ... and ... And then once a year or a year and a half, the curse bites. It all needs upgraded if clients update (and enough do that I do).

It is difficult for me to not see things through my own context. Help to accomplish what one needs is fairly quickly dispensed, even on those other forums. And heck, you know my email addy!

Have a good night. Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Artmama View Post
    Never heard of it. Is it a xara product???
    No. It is a page layout application that Serif made (same people as Affinity Designer). The point is that there are certain applications better suited for longer documents. Layout applications are those things.

It's not that an Xara application cannot be used. Certainly it can. But it does take longer to do a given thing--unless that is drawing (though PP does have respectable but basic drawing tools). Heck, I would use Word before I used XDP.