Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How to scale image using the handles + drag&drop mouse?

Hi,

I'd appreciate help.
    Using either "selector tool" or photo tool", when I drag&drop the handles XDP is cropping the image by default.
    However, I'd like to change the scale of the image (height/width) and not crop it.
    I tried to drag&drop the handles pressing modifiers keys (shift, ctrl, alt), but XDP always crops the image.
    I can change the scale of the image using the toolbar, by typing values (snapshot below).
    But it would be much easier and intuitive to scale image using the handles (or any other method) by drag&drop through mouse.
    Is it possible?

Thanks!
    Carlos_Cadu

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	st7kibz.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	117710

Default Re: How to scale image using the handles + drag&drop mouse?

Quote Originally Posted by cadudesun View Post
    Hi,

I'd appreciate help.
    Using either "selector tool" or photo tool", when I drag&drop the handles XDP is cropping the image by default.
    However, I'd like to change the scale of the image (height/width) and not crop it.
    I tried to drag&drop the handles pressing modifiers keys (shift, ctrl, alt), but XDP always crops the image.
    I can change the scale of the image using the toolbar, by typing values (snapshot below).
    But it would be much easier and intuitive to scale image using the handles (or any other method) by drag&drop through mouse.
    Is it possible?

Thanks!
    Carlos_Cadu

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	st7kibz.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	117710
    Carlos, One way to resize a photo is to use the bottom right handle to resize. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Resize method.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	117716 But personally, I much prefer to resize using inches instead of pixels. Just go to the selector tool and type in 2in (stands for inches) or whatever size you want in one of the boxes (either height or width) and the image will immediately become that exact size in inches.

Hope this helps.

Mark

carlos

make sure the button here is active in the selector tool - then the selector tool should do what you want I think [it will still 'crop' in the photo tool though]

lClick image for larger version. 

Name:	stbut.png 
Views:	108 
Size:	18.0 KB 
ID:	117717
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

mark

I think Carlos wants to resize the image in one aspect only, rather than fixed aspect, using the handles in the middle - can only do that with the traditional handles and not the toy-town-blue ones

if you use the latter the image crops in the one aspect - that said, actually to be technical, it is the the container that is resized whilst the bitmap fill [ie the image] remains unchanged, but that is how xara crops anyway because that way the crop can be released by right click and selecting 'un-clip'

image will immediately become that exact size in inches
    EDIT - sorry my mistake, I misread - what follows refers to changing units and not resizing by entering a value directly

if you switch units [inches, pixels whatever] you may get rounding errors depending on how many decimal points you are working to - millipoints are the only units the program uses under the hood and a millipoint is 1/72,000th of an inch
    Last edited by handrawn; 31 May 2017 at 10:05 PM. Reason: I must learn to spel... and reed rite too ;D
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    mark

I think Carlos wants to resize the image in one aspect only, rather than fixed aspect, using the handles in the middle - can only do that with the traditional handles and not the toy-town-blue ones

if you use the latter the image crops in the one aspect - that said, actually to be technical, it is the the container that is resized whilst the bitmap fill [ie the image] remains unchanged, but that is how xara crops anyway because that way the crop can be released by right click and selecting 'un-clip'

EDIT - sorry my mistake, I misread - what follows refers to changing units and not resizing by entering a value directly

if you switch units [inches, pixels whatever] you may get rounding errors depending on how many decimal points you are working to - millipoints are the only units the program uses under the hood and a millipoint is 1/72,000th of an inch
    Handrawn, that's a good thing to know.

Thanks guys for all directions.
    I've learned everything I needed!
    Cheers

@carlos - always glad to help

@mark - the 'non-destructive' way in which xara crops also explains why, if you try to use something like the bitmap tracer on a crop, you need to make a bitmap copy first to 'fix' it, as you are then working directly on the image fill
    Nothing lasts forever...