Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: impasto brushes

Why do the impasto effects in my Painter document disappear when I open the file in Photoshop?
    IP

Why do the impasto effects in my Painter document disappear when I open the file in Photoshop?
    IP

the simple answer is that photoshop does not support them, particularily when they are still 'wet' and editable, which .rif allows. just today i was helping out a friend of mine, over the phone, with his painter 6. being a photoshop guy new to painter i actually warned him about this very thing. also, photoshop does not support the gel layer, one of best layer attributes for expressing real transparent color glazing. i use it almost exclusively.

stecyk66 ∂
    IP

Hi (is it Dan?),

I did the following using Painter 6.0.3:

Out of curiousity, I did some Impasto strokes on a Canvas, then created a new Layer and placed some text on it. Thinking that the problem of losing Impasto effects when saving in PSD from Painter then opening the file in Photoshop might be solved by saving the Impasto layer as a TIF, then copying and pasting the TIF into the original Painter image, I did just that. Since I wanted to see what happened to the Canvas with Impasto strokes on it.. when opened in Photoshop, I kept the Canvas as it was, also (both the Canvas and TIF Layer looked exactly alike in Painter).

First I saved the file as a RIF, then saved it as a PSD file.

In Photoshop 5.5, I opened the PSD file. Lo and behold! Both the TIF layer and the Canvas retained the Impasto effects! Of course neither was editable with Impasto brushes (Depth Eraser, etc.) because Photoshop doesn't have them, but both Layers looked not only exactly like each other but just as they looked in Painter.

One thing I found interesting, though, when applying Blending Modes to the text Layers, in Photoshop. When the Blending Modes with the same names as Painter's Composite Method options were applied (Luminosity, Hard Light, Saturation, etc.) some looked the same and some were quite different. I wonder if this has to do with the differences between the two programs in how color is displayed.. (that I've heard about on various list but don't understand at all).

I forget now if you mentioned what versions of Painter and Photoshop you're using. Sorry, I should have noted that before beginning this reply.

Jinny

Jinny Brown
    http://www.pixelalley.com
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP

in other words, moving a work in progress back and forth between PS and P6 isn't the easiest thing. i have found that the special abilities of painter tend to make it a 'lonely app'. it's a creative domain unto itself. layered .psd can go into it but sometimes doesn't completely come out. if i do end up exporting an image from painter, it is generally a .tif or a one layer .psd. let's hope photo-paint 10 has robust support for .rif.

stecyk66
    IP