Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Publish only selected pages ?

Hello all, did a search and found no answers so here goes...

Is there a way to publish only pages I select. Often I am working on many pages within the site, but I only want some to show on Nav Bar and to upload... right now it only seems to allow ALL pages to upload whether you like it or not...

All the other apps I have used let you choose.

Thanks in advance

Default Re: Publish only selected pages ?

Welcome to TalkGraphics

What Xara does is publish the entire site, but only things that have changed (if you check Re-publish changed files only). This is not quite the same as publish one page only, but it has the same end result.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Welcome to TalkGraphics

What Xara does is publish the entire site, but only things that have changed (if you check Re-publish changed files only). This is not quite the same as publish one page only, but it has the same end result.
    Hi, thanks gwpriester, was aware of that feature.... seems the only way to do it, is keep pages separate in another working file, and drag and drop when I am ready... seems a real pity as other more basic applications (Serif Webplus, and Magix products have this simple feature)

Regds

Yeah, I agree. But the amount of time to publish a page separately vs to publish changes only is about the same. So mox nix in my opinion.

but I only want some to show on Nav Bar
    De-select "Site Navigation Bar" in nav bar properties.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Welcome to TalkGraphics

I know this is an old thread, but this is something I also want to do and in reply to gwpriester's comment above, this is not at all the same thing. As the original poster clearly said, they sometimes want to hold back pages they are working on from publishing whilst at the same time publishing other updates. I have just bought Web Designer Premium 365 and as far as I can see, this is not something you can do. Coming from Serif WebPlus, this is disappointing because in that programme there is a simple check box for each page which is labelled "do not publish". "Simples!" I freely acknowledge there are some aspects of Xara which are superior to WebPlus, namely the way it handles responsive design, but this particular absence of a feature is disappointing and I would hope the developers would consider including it in future releases.

It's not a big issue.

On the page you don't want published, create a layer named 'Do Not Publish'.

On the 'MouseOff' layer select all the content you don't want published apart from the navbar, Cut and Ctrl+Shift+V (Paste in Place) into layer 'Do Not Publish' layer.

Make this layer Hidden.

Publish.

The page will be published but as there are no links to the layer 'Do Not Publish' this layers content isn't published.

Later, after working on the hidden content to your satisfaction, Cut and Ctrl+Shift+V (Paste in Place) into layer 'MouseOff'.

Republish

I doubt the Devs will change the current situation as the site publishes a whole website, not individual selected pages.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hi Egg, this seems to be a new way for not publishing selected pages. I had not heard about this method before, even though the question has been asked many times, especially coming from those switching from Serif web plus. I like it.

Thanks

Roly

Cheers Roly. I knew that all pages were published whether there was a link to it or not, but I thought I'd experiment to see if unlinked layers were published or not and was quite suprised to find they weren't. I attach the xar file I used for these experiments. Try publishing it to your local drive and look at the index_htm_files folder. See the text in p4 ‘Do Not Publish’ layer for further info.

It could be argued that you can't do this for multiple layered pages but provided there's no link from the 'MouseOff' layer to these other layers, they're not published either.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Great experimental work Egg.

Ciao

Roly