Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: JUST RELEASED! Xara Designer Pro X365

Yes! Yes! Yes! Just tried out XDPX365 with Magix Video Pro X and Movie Edit Pro 2016 and finally, finally, they got the two to work together for the animation (broken since X9). The video from VPX advances in Xara animation. I created a simple animation of a named star, moved it, resized it, made fill transparent, change colour, and it all worked back into VPX as an animation. Wow! They've got my money. If anyone wants to see how to do this, let me know.

@David Strover,
    You have mixed up the Activation process with the quasi-subscription (365).

1. Activation - you can activate for a device, de-activate, install on a second device and activate it, de-activate it, and re-activate the first device. I just installed W10 and de-activated first, had to re-install Xara, then re-activated Xara, no problems.

2. Controversial 365 subscription method - read what Gary P. has to say about this in the First Looks link. Basically you are purchasing the latest version and getting an advance on any new features up to the anniversary date. If you don't re-subscribe, no problem - you keep everything including any interim upgraded features - unless you have to re-install, in which case you drop back to the features that you had when you last subscribed. Look at it this way, nothing changed, you get the latest version of features as is normal for a new version plus an advance on the next version features which you get to keep if you re-subscribe (just like getting a new version). The only other thing is that there will be no more version numbers, only upgrade additions. Thus there is no more requirement to install a new version every year.

John

Thanks browj2 that's cleared that up. Me getting mixed up? Nothing new there!

I was thinking of trying my hand at some simple animation to see if I have an aptitude for it or not, do you have any recommendations as to a particular software - I have to be honest I find very few 'designery-type' software intuitive apart from Xara which I just seemed to pick up.

@David Strover,

You can start right away with Xara DPX. File, New, Animation (Shift+Ctrl+N), read the instructions. You have to name any objects that you want to animate. Check the manual for more details. It is quite simple really. You can add in a background image.

Enjoy!
    John

Quote Originally Posted by David Strover View Post
    Thanks browj2 that's cleared that up. Me getting mixed up? Nothing new there!

I was thinking of trying my hand at some simple animation to see if I have an aptitude for it or not, do you have any recommendations as to a particular software - I have to be honest I find very few 'designery-type' software intuitive apart from Xara which I just seemed to pick up.

file opening issue in ver 11 appears to have gone away - wonder if it was a 'waiting for xara server' issue?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I think for some of what I do, the unmentioned new capability to have larger page sizes is great. I make a few booth banners every year and being able to use XDP instead of CorelDraw is a plus.

Another year and another 'No New Proper Glyph Support for OpenType Fonts' ... absolutely unforgivable in this day and age for a graphics application.

So I'll stick with x9 thank you very much. Xara will not be getting any money from me until they sort this one out.

The can 'Fi' right off as far as I'm concerned (proper designers will get this little joke).

Quote Originally Posted by JokeArtist View Post
    Another year and another 'No New Proper Glyph Support for OpenType Fonts' ... absolutely unforgivable in this day and age for a graphics application.

So I'll stick with x9 thank you very much. Xara will not be getting any money from me until they sort this one out.

The can 'Fi' right off as far as I'm concerned (proper designers will get this little joke).
    I agree with everything you say as regards OT Features. It was my line in the sand twice...but for various reasons I upgraded from X9 to XDP11 and now XDP12 (or XDP365, or whatever it is really going to be named...). I did skip version 10.

But yes, come on Xara/Magix. There really is no excuse to stretch out these OT Features as if adding one thing at a time is some sort of carrot to entice people to upgrade. For 14 years these features have been available in many applications. 14 years! Y'all do know how long that is in "computer application years" don't you?