Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hello!

First of all ENORMOUSLY HUGE THANKS to the Xara team for bringing us the update!

I would like to comment on this release because there have been some exciting features introduced, but as well some essential ones were left missing.

PROS:

1. Solid "live" dragging is amazing and it does not kill your creativity while you drag an object! You can see what you want to see.
    2. Bitmap editor is another superstar, especially if it features some kind of plugin architecture. And I like the fact that it is the smallest and fastest bitmap editor in the world.
    3. Performance and speed have been visibly improved and even though XaraX was the fastest vector editing program, it is now the rocket above all.
    4. I like all the new features in general, everything has really been improved!

CONS:

1. Some simple colour operations on vectors (like in Illustrator): change brightness, contrast, colorize, adjust red/green/blue - and that's it. I don't know if it's very hard to make it, but from my programming experience it's rather simple on bitmaps, so maybe on vectors it shouldn't be much more impossible. Or maybe you could introduce a vector effects plug-in format so third-party developers could write such effects. I found lack of these really killing creativity at some points where you've created a drawing, but it looks too bright or too dark for the background, or the colour-scheme doesn't match the whole look of your design. This really looks important.
    2. Blur vector effect - yes, only BLUR, and we would be fine. You use some advanced 'blur' code for drop shadows, so maybe it could be possible to integrate it as a separate effect so we can easier apply it to objects. I think it's essential these days.
    3. Bitmap editor badly needed only one small feature - invert colours (make negative image). Sometimes when working with transparency on black/white or grayscale bitmaps we decide to make it a white image on black background instead of black image on white background, we have to import it back into a photo editor, and then it takes time and we have to redesign it from scratch. And there are always more situations when you have to export it just to invert the colours. I hope this could be fixed in the future versions.
    4. Look and feel of the user interface. I really like the new splash screen, and I really like the Picture editor, they look contemporary and fresh. New hi-colour icons are also nice, but the whole interface hasn't changed in general. I don't mean drastic changes, but at least enabling XP visual styles for the toolbar, buttons and dialogs would definitely refresh it and give a more contemporary look. I know it may sound like not the most important issue, but for new people who might want to purchase Xara it may not look as appealing as it actually is when you've used it for a longer time.
    5. DWG/DXF import - maybe it's not that important to everyone else, but being an architect I use Xara X for designing final presentations of my projects, and it is very inconvenient when you first have to convert DWG drawings to Adobe Illustrator format, then import to Xara, and you find that you needed to fix something else... Would it be very hard to add this feature?

Well, I thank you for reading this. I strongly think that Xara is the leader in vector drawing. Thank you for bringing us a new release and I'm looking forward to seeing some of these essential features improved, if only possible.

Keep up the good work!

Regards,
    Vytis Puronas
    Skylit

Hello Vytis

The softshadows are in essence bitmaps.

And while there is no vector object blur, you can convert any object to a bitmap and then use the blur component in the XPE. This slider is used to blur and sharpen the bitmap depending which direction you move the slider.

What would be helpful to all users is tooltips to describe the sliders. A tooltip BLUR-SHARPEN that appears over the slider button would make this easier to understand.

Gary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blur.jpg 
Views:	723 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	4096  

You can invert images - select image, left click on black colour, right click on white colour.

Hello folks,

I don't often post, but I do read often!

I've just got Xara X1, and I love it. Why? Because the defaults are editable again. Xara X was so annoying because it always defaulted to 0.5 point linewidth, black outline, black fill, etc. But with X1, it remembers what you set them to be, and you can save the settings in templates - just like in 'good old' CorelXara. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

And I like the more 'intuitive' fill thingy too - it does seem more intuiitive to me, and easier to use.

So far, I haven't found anything I like less than I did in Xara X, but it's early days yet- I only got X1 yesterday!

Cheers,
    Phil
    Trust the computer industry to shorten 'Year 2000' to 'Y2K'. It was this sort of thinking that caused the problem in the first place.

Hello and thanks for your replies.

1. Of course, it's now possible to imitate blur by making a bitmap copy with alpha channel and using XPE to add the effect. But it is just a way "around the problem". What if I decide to edit it? I have to come back and always only "imagine" what it's going to look like, not "see" it! Not Xara concept. Not very friendly. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

2. It's OK. I know how to invert 2-colour images. It's fine in some situations. But what if I want to invert a coloured image to negative colours? No way to do that.

3. My point was that such simple colour-manipulation effects (invert, colorize, adjust hue-saturation-lightness,...) should also be available for vectors, because it's very often that you make a new detail in your drawing which does not exactly suit the rest of the image, so you need to re-adjust each colour separately. Illustrator has it and I don't think it's a very hard-to-code and CPU-hungry function. It is so essential in some cases that I have to turn back to the SLOW-HUGE-GIGANTIC Illustrator just because of that. Do you know what I mean?

Is there no way these could be implemented to Xara X1 in the nearest future?

Cheers,
    Skylit.

Default Re: My comments on Xara X1

"5. DWG/DXF import - maybe it's not that important to everyone else, but being an architect I use Xara X for designing final presentations of my projects, and it is very inconvenient when you first have to convert DWG drawings to Adobe Illustrator format, then import to Xara, and you find that you needed to fix something else... Would it be very hard to add this feature?"

==//==

As with many forum members, I have been using Xara since the CorelXara days and found it to be an excellent application for most graphics requirements.

In the past 12 months I have convinced my workplace to purchase a few copies to use in our engineering department. This is not for engineering product design (as most of our CAD work is done using AutoCAD), however, when it comes to putting together simple product labels or signs, or drawing up simple wiring or system diagrams, then Xara is more than up to the task and much more versatile. It also has many other added features that are highly useful in communicating engineering concepts to our marketing department to use in brochures and presentations, etc.

The only problem that I have is that I can't import an AutoCAD .dwg file into Xara.

The reason I want to do this is so that I can design an accurate product label for a front or rear panel (for example). I'm happy that I can find print shops that can take one of the many output formats from Xara once I have designed a label, but unless I can accurately align (overlay) a label design on top of the original mechanical panel that's drawn up in AutoCAD, then I'm having to rely on (potentially) multiple iterations of proofs before I'm confident that what I've designed in Xara will accurately fit.

I've searched through numerous messages in the forum that discuss this issue, but none that spell out the specific application or reason behind the request for a .dwg import filter. It's also important to note that I'm not looking to replace any of the AutoCAD-specific functionality; I just need a way of seamlessly putting the 'real' artistic work into the application where it is most suited - XARA!

Are there any others in this forum with similar requirements?

Short of using additional drawing packages (Adobe, Corel, etc), is there any neat and simple way of achieving this functionality with the current set of import filters in XARA X1 and a simple 3rd party conversion tool?

Is there any news of a .dwg import filter being made available any time soon?

TIA

Wink Re: My comments on Xara X1

Hello,

I'me new to Xara X1, but looks great! i'm not a pro, but a happy drawer
    I've been troubled with two issues:

1. The interface is ok, but can be a lot better, please take a look at
    openCanvas
    (now is on version 4.06: http://www.portalgraphics.net/en/index.asp) is not competing with Xara X1 because is raster, but the interface for 'tablet' people are 'very commfortable'. i dream about, oC in vector graphics, but the near i got is 'Xara X1' because of the 'performance and speed'

2. I'm a tablet fan, and to me the pressure sensivity doesn't work at all
    i've already posted another thread to this, but i still don't get any solution:
    http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=18180

Note: SVG input / output plugin can be great too.

Many Regards, Bye

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

@snicho

Is there any news of a .dwg import filter being made available any time soon?
    Yes. Get GhostScript (free) and GSView (shareware) here:

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/

Go to the plug-in pages (somewhere at the GhostScript site), download and install ps2edit.

Export your CAD files as *.eps or print them as *.eps (install a Linotronic driver 'on file' for this), open the *.eps with GhostScript and convert the file to *.ai, import into Xara.

Or you can generate a PDF document from your CAD file and convert it with GhostScript as well.

It's more than a workaround, because GhostScript offers many more features.
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Thanks for the quick response, Jens.

I will give this process a go today - it certainly sounds like a viable solution for now.

Given that Xara can import an .eps file directly, what is gained by going via GhostScript and .ai format? I'm guessing that dimensioning and/or layer information is retained where it might otherwise be lost. Is this correct?

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

Unfortunately, you'll run into trouble if you import an *.eps file - it won't import anything at all.

The dimensioning in the *.ai format is not retained, that means the dimensions are located somewhere, but not where you've placed them.
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--