Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default The case of the disappearing icons... (XDP11 trial)

This weekend I decided to look if I'd take the plunge and will splash out a considered amount of money to buy me the new Xara. Up till now I used the copy that was bought by my work but as I'm leaving work I'm considering to take the dive.
    So, I downloaded the 64-bit trial and installed XDP11. On first sight it works flawless and the new brushes are exactly what I hoped for. But I do craft my own user interface and coming from the first incarnations of Xara I really like the flat, light gray user interface. Thus, the first thing I do with a new set-up is the four finger salute: ctrl-shft-alt-S and voila; back to work and no dark gray, sombre, and on my HiRes illegible, interface. I was a happy man and almost considered buying the new version...

Until I moved some toolbars and I saw that it instantly lost the icons (see attached screen shot). Is anyone else experiencing this behaviour?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	toolbartoolbar.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	12.9 KB 
ID:	111828

It doesn't happen with the standard dark-gray interface. I know the developers favour the murky, dark skin with the reasoning that it's a graphics program and that a darker interface is better adapted to colour rendering and all (which is a strange reasoning considering that the page is still white ....) but I do like the light UI and given the choice I will revert back no matter what.
    It might have to do with the caching of the graphics driver (an Intel HD Graphics with the latest MS certified drivers) for when I minimize-restore the program window the toolbars are there with al icons. Or is there a setting deep down in the registry to alter the way Xara renders it's screen?
    Last edited by Michael; 15 February 2016 at 07:52 AM.

Default Re: The case of the disappearing icons... (XDP11 trial)

Ah, unawares, you entered one of the hornet's nests here on TG! There are various strong opinions on this subject and I have taken the occasional 'beating' for sharing a so-called 'hack' to address the issue you are experiencing.

I also have a strong preference for the light UI and am happy that I can still set up my custom bars etc. and use it. This is how you can do it: customize your setup using the dark interface. Once you're done, do not use the ctrl-shft-alt-S combo but close the program and go to "C:\Program Files\Xara\Xara Designer Pro X11" (if you’re using the 32-bit version you have to go the “Program Files (x86)” directory) and locate "xaradark_theme.xml." Make a copy of the file and save it in a different directory (this is only for safekeeping) and change the name of the file anyway you like (I added "OUT" to the file name -- again, this is only for safekeeping). Now start up the program again. It will show the light-gray, default interface.

Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    Ah, unawares, you entered one of the hornet's nests here on TG! There are various strong opinions on this subject and I have taken the occasional 'beating' for sharing a so-called 'hack' to address the issue you are experiencing.

I also have a strong preference for the light UI and am happy that I can still set up my custom bars etc. and use it. This is how you can do it: customize your setup using the dark interface. Once you're done, do not use the ctrl-shft-alt-S combo but close the program and go to "C:\Program Files\Xara\Xara Designer Pro X11" (if you’re using the 32-bit version you have to go the “Program Files (x86)” directory) and locate "xaradark_theme.xml." Make a copy of the file and save it in a different directory (this is only for safekeeping) and change the name of the file anyway you like (I added "OUT" to the file name -- again, this is only for safekeeping). Now start up the program again. It will show the light-gray, default interface.
    Boy, I found your method useful but the Button Palette (Control Bar) is sill obscured. You can wend the mouse pointer over the icons to get them to show but not really usable (Read http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...ot-anyone-else).

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Yes, you can only (fully) modify the customized setup when using the dark interface.

Not being happy with the results this thread deliverd I decided to delve further into the matter of Xara's skin. It all is hidden in the xaradark.cjstyle. That's a binary file with all resources needed for the skin except the toolbar buttons. I've downloaded good old Resource hacker which could easily open the file and so I could edit some things.

The result can be seen here:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	workinprogress.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	111830

It's a work in progress and I would realy love some feedback or help from anyone who is interested in a light gray skin for Xara. Once you are happy with the results you can copy the edited xaradark.cjstyle to Xara's program directory (beware to backup the original!) and you'll have a frsh, ligh-hearted Xara Designer!

Anyone care to join?

I believe there are still a few UI colors in an XML file.

I believe all the UI colors ought to be moved into that XML file for that matter.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I agree with Mike. There should be a way to edit the skin colours through the Program UI, perhaps a panel of sliders that would control the values in the XML file and a way to save your custom colour settings and easily restore them if needed. It would save a lot of frustration and finally put an end to the Light VS Dark debate.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.