Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Hi all, new to Xara and need some help

I have a Graphics background that goes back to the lead type years, but I can find my way around most computer things. Now that I'm retired I have more time on my hands to help out the local IPMS modeling club with newsletters, logo design and such. To that end I downloaded Xara Page & Layout Designer 11. It's my first time with any Xara products and was wondering what would be the best way to learn about the different functions of this software. The "Help" section inside the software is "ok", but lacking for me in some ways.

I need to re-design the club logo and one of the things I want to know, is how to run text in a circle, both on the outside AND inside of the circle rim.

Any help/direction would be HUGELY appreciated for this 'ol fart...!!

Cheerio,
    oldcopierguy

Default Re: Hi all, new to Xara and need some help

Basically you want "Arrange / Fit text to curve". In the Help, search for "text along a curve".

You asked for a good way to learn about the functions.
    If your time allows you should have a look at Xhris Educational Course at http://www.xhris.digitalred.net/

As well as Chris's videos there is huge help from Gary B's vids but also in the "Archives" sect Gary P's html tutorials. All really great and you will find them are great way to help for you to get to know the software. They can be found here: http://www.xaraxone.com/
    Did you see this months is on type which might be worth your while having a look at for that seems the place that you were enquiring about. Any way welcome to talkgraphics and please come back if you get stuck again. You could even post a picture of your logo in Xara Gallery.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Quote Originally Posted by Albacore View Post
    As well as Chris's videos there is huge help from Gary B's vids but also in the "Archives" sect Gary P's html tutorials. All really great and you will find them are great way to help for you to get to know the software. They can be found here: http://www.xaraxone.com/
    Did you see this months is on type which might be worth your while having a look at for that seems the place that you were enquiring about. Any way welcome to talkgraphics and please come back if you get stuck again. You could even post a picture of your logo in Xara Gallery.
    Hey Albacore, thanks for the tips. all the way from Scotland eh...? Lovely, that gives ma heed a huge big swellin...! A lot of my relatives and ancestors are from the Highlands. Will check oot the links.,,

Cheerio,
    oldcopierguy in Winterpeg, CANADA

And I got a HUGE number of relatives, friends and pals that I have met travelling in Canada. My relatives are spread throughout Canada from as far North as Prince George, South as Vancouver and Island, through cities like Calgary, Winnipeg, and Toronto, right over to the East in St. Johns, Newfoundland. It just shows what happened after wars in Europe when the unemployment in Scotland was huge.

Have a look in the Xone as well as "how to's" there is also great inspiration as well.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Quote Originally Posted by Albacore View Post
    And I got a HUGE number of relatives, friends and pals that I have met travelling in Canada. My relatives are spread throughout Canada from as far North as Prince George, South as Vancouver and Island, through cities like Calgary, Winnipeg, and Toronto, right over to the East in St. Johns, Newfoundland. It just shows what happened after wars in Europe when the unemployment in Scotland was huge.

Have a look in the Xone as well as "how to's" there is also great inspiration as well.
    WINNIPEG...!!! How cool is that...? COOL being the operative word here...going down to -20C tomorrow nite...!

Will chk out the tute's and such, thanks mate,

Laurie

I remember hot type and even set some character by character in art school.