Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Creating a button to use in a Navbar

I'm still not clear about creating a button to use in a Navbar. I created the image I want, nothing special at all, just replicating the button on the previous website.

I've searched through the Xara website videos, but can't seem to find anything detailing what's needed for a Navbar button.

Now I think I understand that I need a 'mouse off' and 'mouse over' state?
    At present it seems that I just have the 'mouse off' state with a simple image?
    I've already added a line of text in the center of the image, as I think that's a requirement for a Navbar button? I have soft grouped the image and the text. Should there be a link to a url in the text as well, before I soft grouped it?

What's the next step(s) to add a 'mouse over' state that I think I need for the button that will enable me to use it a create a Navbar?

Default Re: Creating a button to use in a Navbar

you needn't have a mouse over state if you don't want

>> THIS << video by @Xhris might help as well as all of his other videos (a sticky to his thread HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by mikeymopar View Post
    you needn't have a mouse over state if you don't want

>> THIS << video by @Xhris might help as well as all of his other videos (a sticky to his thread HERE)
    I wasn't particularly interested in a mouse over state, but I thought I needed it in order to create a Navbar? Since you've said that, I have just added a url (via web properties) to the text in my soft group button, in the hope that would stop the 'Create Navbar' item in the drop-down menu being greyed out. But it's made no difference.
    I've just started watching the video by Xara Xhris. It's an hour and a half long, so I hope I find the part that covers making a button for a Navbar!

Thanks for your helpful reply.
    When I do find out what I'm missing, I'll need to make some easy to remember notes, for the hard-of-learning, like myself!

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I've moved this to the Web Design area as it seems you have already created your graphic and it just creating a navbar you are asking for help with.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Quote Originally Posted by angelize View Post
    I've moved this to the Web Design area as it seems you have already created your graphic and it just creating a navbar you are asking for help with.
    Err, OK, thanks. I thought this was the web design area already though? "Web Design Chat".
    Well at least that's where I thought I'd posted it anyway.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

It was in the Xara Graphics but all is good, it's where it belongs now
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Hi Mac Hine, the instructions in post # 10 of the following link by Gary Priester http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...navigation-bar helped me make my navigation bar.

Ciao

Roly

Quote Originally Posted by roly View Post
    Hi Mac Hine, the instructions in post # 10 of the following link by Gary Priester http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...navigation-bar helped me make my navigation bar.

Ciao

Roly
    Hi Roly,

That was just what I needed! It does have straightforward details. Except that... although I now have a 2 state button, the 'Create Navigation Bar' on the menu is still greyed out even when I have my button selected.
    I must be missing something obvious here.

OK, I tried to follow post #10 by gwpriester (his text in bold below), but I think I must need to spelt out to me:

Create and group one button (Home in this case).

I drew a rectangle, added some text in the center, added a url to the text and soft-grouped the text and rectangle.

Copy the group, select the MouseOver layer and Paste in Place. At this point you have only two buttons, a MouseOff and a MouseOver.

With both button state layers visible, marquee select both buttons. The status bar will show two groups on two layers selected.

From the Arrange menu, select Apply Soft Group. Now you have one button with a MouseOff and MouseOver state.

With this soft group selected, NOW select the Create Nav Bar tool.

Nope, the Create Navbar is still greyed out.

I just don't know where I've mis-understood the above and gone wrong. So far I've spent seven hours trying to do this apparently simple task time and time again.

I think that after the Apply Soft Group step you need one other in order to link the mouse over and the mouse off states:

In the Web Properties menu (Utilities > Web Properties) select the Link tab and enter the # symbol in the "link to web" box.