Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Re: Will Xara Ever Create a DTP Program (like PagePlus)?

Digitalphaser in answer to your post #41, very tried at that res. and would always use PDF. But yes you can and certainly without the change of colour on the background. Go and experiment with the "Advance Options" with your PDF export there is a lot more that you can do here. Also in your Xara doc. before export use the layers panel for your RGB effects and keep them isolated to make the bitmap copy easier. Then you can hide your vectors along with the RGB effects in a layer which you can turn off the viz.
    When I worked in a print shop doing letterheads, pamphlets and the like I always gave the full PDF file but also included the logo, values of colour + logo, and other areas of the design. So all customers got 3 PDF files at least. Now if the customer had a vector editing programme they could do what ever they wanted with that design or just place the parts given to make up invoices or other docs as they had paid for the design. In the three years I worked there no one asked for a PSD format if they did they would have received a flatten copy of the file,
    Last edited by Gare; 02 September 2015 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Added link to #41. Sorry, albacore!
    Design is thinking made visual.

@Albacore
    If you do not need PSD/AI, you're lucky. I am less fortunate.

Okay. What is with PDF export?

Fact! Xara does not support CMYK transparency. I do not see that it has changed in the new version.
    Here is a small example. Vaunted art brush and transparent bitmap placed above CMYK layer. The result is a nightmare.
    Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Attachment 109773

If you know the "secret option" to avoid it. Share please! I'll be very grateful.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pdf_export.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	109802  

First, it would help if you uploaded the file.

You also don't mention what PDF profile you are using. But, try exporting using the highest Acrobat Compatibility setting your Xara application supports.

It was just an example.

Ok! Here are settings, which I usually use:
    PDF/X-1a or 3
    CMYK
    Bitmap Compression "None"
    Output Profile: ISO Coated v2

Try using rgb under what will become a bitmap, like the brushes. I think, without your sample file or taking the time to make one, it is a transparency flattening effect with the different color models involved. Just a guess.

CMYK background rectangle. Brush and a transparent TIFF. Exported to Acrobat 8 compatibility.

Attachment 109775

RGB background rectangle. Brush and a transparent TIFF. Exported to PDF/X-3.

Attachment 109776

It is a transparency flattening artifact that you show. Xara does need to work on this aspect. But this has been is a common defect in many/most applications at one time or another.

Name:	capture-003530.png 
Views:	105 
Size:	82.5 KB 
ID:	109803   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture-003531.png 
Views:	89 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	109804  

About the trick with RGB, I know. It was written in one of the Xara's manuals. But this is not my case. I am only interested only CMYK color model. RGB is very difficult to control. Especially when I have certain CMYK values that I have to use.

But it makes no difference.

I wrote about that Xara's export slightly adapted to communicate with other software. In particular, I mean AI/PSD formats. Now it is for me the most important point.
    Everyone says: "Use PDF!" Good. But PDF(CMYK, vector+bitmap) is not much better.

Do you have experience with CorelDraw? What is with AI/PSD(CMYK) export now? Last time I used CD 10 years ago. Thereat it was bad. What is now?

Well that project I pointed to in my previous post although available as a downloadable PDF, it is also available as a print product from a major printing house (not print-on-demand), and required me to send them a 300 dpi PDF with CMYK values provided (PDF/X1a) and it was received without a problem by the printer, so I assume the current PDF/X1a works fine. I have done the same for larger, intended only for print products, using the same format without any problems.

If a moderator would break this part of the discussion out to a new thread, it would be good...

RGB isn't difficult to control. Most DFE controlling digital printers will produce better color conversions from an RGB source and in-application.

But I understand about the CMYK values one needs to use, much of what I do also needs certain values and goes to film for offset printing. In the case of the brushes, simply recolor them in CMYK and export to PDF/X-1 or -3 as desired. There won't be flattening artifacts:

Attachment 109778

If I were exchanging art with PS, I would still use RGB and do any color conversion in it. Basically, color conversion should be the last part of the process in any case. But if I had to use Xara art in PS, one still needs to deal with the layers, bitmap effects, etc. Personally I use the applications required for all final work and or output. Much of the time I can use XDP for most all content creation even when I have to finish off in AI, for instance.

As regards CD, yes, I use it as well. I don't know what issues you have had, but like with XDP, if I have to return AI art, I do as much work in either XDP and or in conjunction with CD, but at some point if an AI file is required, it will go into AI to be finished. I just prefer XDP for the content creation, CD for anything I either have to return in CDR format or as yet a stepping stone to AI. Once in a blue moon all content will be created in AI, but I basically hate the work-flow in it.

I have no idea what you create and why it needs to go to these other applications. But the above has always worked for me if and when I need the other formats.

Mike

Name:	capture-003532.png 
Views:	127 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	109805  

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    If a moderator would break this part of the discussion out to a new thread, it would be good...
    No. I will try to quickly. Just an exchange of views.

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    I have no idea what you create and why it needs to go to these other applications...
    Miscellaneous.
    A simple example. The company sells foreign goods. They want to locate the package. I get from the manufacturer layout of package, some graphics, CMYK and Pantone values. I create a design that is similar to the original, but adopted for local buyers. The customer wants to have a aditable copy of design. Because the product is constantly changing(European ISO Norm of packaging, nutrition facts etc...)

The ideal format would be an AI/EPS. But the design has some transparent TIFF graphics. Xara export(AI/EPS) only RGB/96dpi bitmap.
    Maybe PSD? I wish that Xara could be export CMYK PSD files. But I'm afraid it's going to be like for Xara's TIFF export.
    Xara for me is very fast and convenient work environment. But Xara's ability to export is "below the plinth".

PDF is also not the best option. I did like you, CMYK surface + transparent Tiff to PDF 1.7 (AR 8). In AcroPro file looks fine. But I could not open it in Xara. In AI everything was black. Horror!

Attachment 109800

Now about CD.
    Today I tested the demo version of CDX7. It is certainly much closer to what I want. CD made enormous progress (last time I used CD in 2007).
    PDF/X export is fine.
    Transparent graphics is flat, but retains the original color.

Attachment 109801

CMYK PSD export is good enough (text, mask, smart filters). Also good.
    AI Export is limited, transparent bitmaps is flat, but retains the color and resolution.

So there is something to ponder. This year I paid $ 100 for a bitmap art brushes, a spiral and a bunch of blinking buttons. Hm...

Thank you, Mike.

Name:	xaratopdf.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	109806   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coreltopdf.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	109807